Falling asleep in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
My one year old sulcata is kept outside in a tort table. I have one side of the table heated and the other side not. I have hides on both sides. Sometimes bowser will fall asleep in the hide on the cold side. It is about 60 out at night now. Should I leave him where he fell asleep or move him to the warm side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't let a one year old drop below 75. Especially if you have any humidity in there. I think one year olds are too young to live outside all the time. Some people do it, but it is very risky in my opinion. My three year old still sleeps inside at night. My adults didn't move outside until they were 5.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
He will be fine as long as he has sunshine and the temps warm up during the day. Where are you located? If it's kept outside at this young age I would advise you mist or water him often. The little ones get dehydrated easily.

franeich

5 Year Member
I live in Southern California. I water him every morning and most afternoons. On the warm part of his table it doesnt get below 75. He is on a tort table with a hinged and locking lid so there is no worry of predators. I think it is important that a tortoise be kept outdoors. Lots of fresh air.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dito what Tom said. Anything below 75 to 70 is a bit risky, better to be safe and keep them above that temperature.

moswen

5 Year Member
i was told by a couple of ppl when i first joined that in the 65 at night is fine for my sulcata babies, and that's what their night time temps are in the winter at our house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
moswen said:
i was told by a couple of ppl when i first joined that in the 65 at night is fine for my sulcata babies, and that's what their night time temps are in the winter at our house.

I used to say that too. That was before I started in with all the humidity and wetness. I used to let mine get that low at night some times, many years ago, but they were always bone dry. I've since adjusted things since the cooler temps are in direct conflict with the humidity. Humidity wins for me now.

Rebekah, do you have much humidity in with yours when it gets that cool? I know it can cause problems for the regular leopards, but I've never heard of it causing problems for a sulcata. Are you our first guinea pig? Before I started in with all the wetness, I was told that THAT was all wrong and my torts would be sick or dead soon. I regularly send pics of my super healthy, smooth hatchlings to those folks and let them know that not only are they not dead yet, but they put on another smooth 15 grams... hahaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.