Does my Sulcata have a cold

Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa, California
My 7 year old sulcata did something he has NEVER done before, he goes into his house at dusk and doesn't come back out until around 7am. When it is really cold I have a comforter I throw over the door to retain his heat. He can get out but not in with the comforter down. It has never tried before. I live at the base of Big Bear mountain and it can get cold. Last Sunday I put him to bed around 7:30 then received a call that my son had broken down on the highway (about 5 hours away). I checked on him got into my car and left. I got home . It was 57 degrees and raining I put food into Festers house and went inside. I fell asleep and awoke around noon. Went out to check on him . I couldn't find him. I found him all the way to the rear of my property (half acre) he was ice cold. I warmed him immediately, and have watched him constantly. His breathing seems rattling. Can they catch a cold. And if so what do I do, I cant loose him. Please help me.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My 7 year old sulcata did something he has NEVER done before, he goes into his house at dusk and doesn't come back out until around 7am. When it is really cold I have a comforter I throw over the door to retain his heat. He can get out but not in with the comforter down. It has never tried before. I live at the base of Big Bear mountain and it can get cold. Last Sunday I put him to bed around 7:30 then received a call that my son had broken down on the highway (about 5 hours away). I checked on him got into my car and left. I got home . It was 57 degrees and raining I put food into Festers house and went inside. I fell asleep and awoke around noon. Went out to check on him . I couldn't find him. I found him all the way to the rear of my property (half acre) he was ice cold. I warmed him immediately, and have watched him constantly. His breathing seems rattling. Can they catch a cold. And if so what do I do, I cant loose him. Please help me.
Yes, I believe this could be serious. Is he inside now? What's the current temperature?

I would bump up the ambient temperature a little if you haven't already.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and offer some advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you heating his house and what is the temperature inside the house?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like already said. Bump the heat up to 85 but keep him in that 85 degree temp 24/7 for a week or two. Your going to have to confine him to a room or enclosure where you can control the temps. If things seem to get worse then call a vet. If you get him in the heated area asap it might be all he needs to get him over this hump. Keep him hydrated with water available and a warm water soak every other day. If you see him improving, then keep him in the added heat for at least a week wet the point you think he is 100% better.
Good luck and keep us posted.
When he is better and you can put him back in his regular yard, a door that can be shut and latched should be installed on his house and be should be closed in every night and let out in the morning. They should not have the freedom to go out at night. Even if they never do it, when they decide too, it will always be on one of the worse nights.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks everyone I had already increased his heat he is confined to his house which is a constant 85. I will watch him carefully
How are you heating the house?
Be sure to soak him several times a week in warm water in the heat of the day to keep him hydrated with all the extra electric heat.
And let him out during these next few hot days so he can get warmer than 85 in this heat wave we are having.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad to hear he's doing better.

I just spent a couple of days near you at Riley's Farm on a school trip with my daughter. What a fantastic place! Do you know of it?