Fanatical New Guy (FNG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
New to the forum. Have had have lots of success with Snappers up north, and now living in AZ (TUC).

Would like to adopt a pair of baby Graeca or other ornate Greek Torts. Still not settled on which species and they have to do well here. Babies don't stay small long enough and the Greeks won't get too big like other families of Torts, so the indoor housing for adults is not going to be an issue.

Where can we see pics of the Greeks or a webpage or book on them?

Decent yard to run around and will make a pen. I like the idea of using a wooden bookcase for a long indoor pen. Makes sense and cheaper per square foot.

Not in a rush for the kids but, the right pair and price might sway me.

Turts and Torts like to run, not circle in aquariums.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
419938oap8ujgkhv.gif

to the forum!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Thanks Yvonne! Sent you an email via your rescue site.

I just found a pic on the Turtle trust that confirmed that I am seeking to adopt a couple of Ibera's.

How long do the shell patterns stay clear before darkening with age?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, FNG. Good luck on your tortoise search. You will have lot of helpful info and advice here on TFO.

Make sure to post some photos of your new pets so we can all admire them!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Stephanie Logan said:
Welcome to the forum, FNG.

Thanks Stephanie. Located a local breeder. He'll be my best bet for acclimated and healthy Graeca. Hope he ready for all the questions. Just cleaned up the yard and baby proofed the gates. Excited about adding an outdoor pen for daily basking.

You find me on the Greek Forum.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Are you looking to get a hatchling? If at all possible, I would go for the oldest tort you can find. Hatchlings are so fragile. After at least 4 months they have a better survival rate. What are your plans for the indoor enclosure and care? Best wishes.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
tortoisenerd said:
Welcome to the group! Are you looking to get a hatchling? If at all possible, I would go for the oldest tort you can find. Hatchlings are so fragile. After at least 4 months they have a better survival rate. What are your plans for the indoor enclosure and care? Best wishes.

Thanks. Been all over the forum learning from everyone.

Found a couple of young 4" Greek girl Ibera's in California. Sushisurf13 will be driving part way (going to Grandma's) and I will drive the rest to meet him rather than shipping the 2 Torts. Not a bad trip.

24X60 table is ready. Not sure the habbi huts will work with the adults. Maybe it is time to get clay pots?

Can I keep 3 adults happy in the same table or do I need a even bigger one?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

It would depend on the sexes and eventual size of them as to whether you can keep 3 together. Males are most likely to either fight among each other or harass a female to much when kept inside.
All my male greeks are kept seperately when inside. They usually just get to visit the females when outside.
Even females don't always get along when inside. :p
So as adults, you may have to house all 3 of them seperate when inside.
The more outside time they get, the darker they will become.

Danny

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum :)

It would depend on the sexes and eventual size of them as to whether you can keep 3 together. Males are most likely to either fight among each other or harass a female to much when kept inside.
All my male greeks are kept seperately when inside. They usually just get to visit the females when outside.
Even females don't always get along when inside. :p
So as adults, you may have to house all 3 of them seperate when inside.
The more outside time they get, the darker they will become.

Danny

How bout 2 girls and a boy? I understand that there is small chance they will try to breed indoors.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The male will still most likely bother the 2 females. Being inside usually doesn't change a male Greeks drive to mate, at least not with mine anyway. :p

Danny

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
That's funny.

I'll consider a building a bachelor table.

My Zoomed PowerSun is 160 watts. I have the stand height tuned so that the temps right under are at 90. Is this too much light? It was recommended by the local Rep Shop so that the 5 ft table is well illuminated and warm and the plants that might grow will have a chance to grow or last a bit longer. I see a lot of people like to use 100 watt lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.