Great video

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I disagree. All tortoises should be outside whenever possible. They aren't housed inside in the wild! They aren't meant to be house pets. I understand we may not have the exact temps/climate, etc as their natural habitat, depending on the species, but we all have sunny warmer summers. Humidity can be added if needed with misters and sprinklers.
When to cold or way too hot, then if one hasn't provided the proper shade, heat etc outside, then they could be housed inside during the harsh temps, but otherwise should be outside whenever possible.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I disagree. All tortoises should be outside whenever possible. They aren't housed inside in the wild! They aren't meant to be house pets. I understand we may not have the exact temps/climate, etc as their natural habitat, depending on the species, but we all have sunny warmer summers. Humidity can be added if needed with misters and sprinklers.
When to cold or way too hot, then if one hasn't provided the proper shade, heat etc outside, then they could be housed inside during the harsh temps, but otherwise should be outside whenever possible.
So do I. She didn't say they shouldn't be kept outdoors. Just that you should put effort in researching your natural climate compared to theirs so you can do so properly.

Like how I wouldn't be able to keep a redfoot or sulcata out year round, but have to improvise during winter.

Or maybe you have a species such as marginated that require a bit more heat than you get, like say in some parts of Europe. Incorporate a green house or maybe clear some trees that may block out sun.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So do I. She didn't say they shouldn't be kept outdoors. Just that you should put effort in researching your natural climate compared to theirs so you can do so properly.

Like how I wouldn't be able to keep a redfoot or sulcata out year round, but have to improvise during winter.

Or maybe you have a species such as marginated that require a bit more heat than you get, like say in some parts of Europe. Incorporate a green house or maybe clear some trees that may block out sun.
I guess I took it wrong then she intended.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
personally i believe if you can provide an outside enclosure and don't, your making a mistake..... you cannot duplicate sunlight indoors, especially to animals whose evolution and existence has always depended on the sun. you can't duplicate daylight Rythm's.....
finding one location within a turtle or tortoises range could be deceiving.... example could be spotted turtles are found from gorgian bay ontario to central florida, the climates are nothing alike. redfoot tortoises occur from the virgin islands down to the lower half of paraguay....
i've kept R.P.manni outside from mid may thru mid october in northeast ohio for decades...... R.P. manni comes from a very narrow range at about 10degrees N latitude..... it's like 80 degrees 24/7/365, the weather here is not evev remotely similar..... imo, the benefit of natural light, far outweighs the preciseness/stability of temperature and humidity...... it's doable.....

Anastasia 22

Texas
personally i believe if you can provide an outside enclosure and don't, your making a mistake..... you cannot duplicate sunlight indoors, especially to animals whose evolution and existence has always depended on the sun. you can't duplicate daylight Rythm's.....
finding one location within a turtle or tortoises range could be deceiving.... example could be spotted turtles are found from gorgian bay ontario to central florida, the climates are nothing alike. redfoot tortoises occur from the virgin islands down to the lower half of paraguay....
i've kept R.P.manni outside from mid may thru mid october in northeast ohio for decades...... R.P. manni comes from a very narrow range at about 10degrees N latitude..... it's like 80 degrees 24/7/365, the weather here is not evev remotely similar..... imo, the benefit of natural light, far outweighs the preciseness/stability of temperature
Agree. I can't provide the right climate outside for my Russian tortoises. It's too hot and humid for them here in Central Texas. So they stay inside. But I still take them out daily to get UV light.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Agree. I can't provide the right climate outside for my Russian tortoises. It's too hot and humid for them here in Central Texas. So they stay inside. But I still take them out daily to get UV light.
I'm able to keep my russian torts out year round here, but I always have to put them in a special box during winter due to the unpredictable rain.

They brumate fine, but people still have a problem that I don't add any additional heat etc.