Feeding Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakattack

5 Year Member
I have a few questions about what exactly I should feed. I've had my little Leopard for about a month and I don't think he's grown any. I don't have a scale small enough to really weigh him properly to check changes.

Right now I've been feeding him Kale. It's big enough that he can get his mouth on it, since the frilliness gives plenty of places for him to put his mouth. I tried collard greens but they were too flat for his little mouth. He couldn't rip off bits to eat or anything. I bought some rabbit feed high in alfalfa and other hays with low (13%) protein. I've read that having high protein is bad. He seems to not want to eat the pellets, which makes me think that giving him the Mazuri tortoise feed would be bad since he has no interest in pellets at all. I sprinkle his food with powdered Tums (for calcium). I feel like he probably isn't getting enough of something but I don't want to just buy whatever and have it not be enough.

If I get him the pellets, do you think he'll try to eat them? Or will he just go for the Kale every time?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi....Leopards are so beautiful...I know that there are lots of folks here who care for them and likely will hit here soon to give you some pointers... :D I do think that variety is key as well as the act of grazing can be helpful.... :tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would use cuttle bone for calcium rather than tums I looked up their ingredients one time, and personally I did not like what I saw, cuttle bone is far more simpler for me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
your little leopard needs to eat more then kale.
do you give it outdoor time? do you ahve dandilions? have you tried Spring Mix salad?
Mazuri is a pellet but if you moisten it it feeds better.. rabbit pellets are not for tortoises. They should not eat them or
be housed on them.
Cuttle bone is better.. you can scrape it and have it sprinkle over the food.
What kind of lights do you use? temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.