Feeding in Norway

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
I am a bit cencerned that I dont give my torts enough of a varied diet. As i live in Norway there is limited access to wild plants throughout the year. In the summer i feed them mostly dandelion, but also clover and other wild plants i find around my house. But in the winter I don't have this. I feed them mostly salads from the supermarket. Any ideas on where I can find a more varied diet for my tortoises in the winter?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Many of us have the same problem. You can grow your own, and do the best you can with what you've got. I like to think that the wide variety available in the summer helps offset the more restricted winter diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Occasionally I will find okra in the frozen food section of the grocery store. You can also look for frozen veggies like broccoli, brussels sprouts, collard greens, turnip greens. I just did a GOOGLE search for Frozen Vegetables and the Birds Eye home page lists all kinds of veggies that its ok to feed a tortoise.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Depends on the species of tortoise, too. We really need to know that to know if we can advise vegetables besides the green leafy ones.

You can grow many edible flowers indoors for them. I have geranium and hibiscus blooming indoors in the winter. There are others.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You can save seeds and plant them indoors. You can order seeds online, too.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES