Feeding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have had 3, approximately 6 month old Burmese stars for a couple of weeks now. They are amazing little torts that I have already fallen in love with. The thing is, I can't believe how much they have been eating. I am hoping someone can give me an idea about how to figure out how much food to give them.

Do I just give them as much as they will eat? I give them a huge pile of food every morning that seems like WAY too much for them to ever finish, but they always do. I have started giving them more most afternoons, and they eat that too. I give them spring mix every day, and I alternate what I mix with it between Mazuri, the red Marion tort diet, and opuntia. Their favorite is definitely the spring mix, but they eat the rest too.

I know this is a real moron type question, but I never had this issue with my leopards. They eat a certain amount, then they're done. I just can't seem to give these new guys enough to satisfy them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wildak

5 Year Member
spring mix seems to mostly water. Grass and weeds from the yard have more fiber and seem to fill them up faster. But yes stars are eating machines for sure.

Bryan

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
My platynota are eating machines. If your feeding a balanced diet, and it sounds like you are...let them eat. What I have noticed about mine compared to all the other types of tortises I keep, they just dont eat alot, they eat fast. The frequency of their bites is like some fast drum beat. Play it for us Matt :)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks. I guess I don't need to worry about overeating then. I will just give them as much as they will eat. It sure is a lot nicer than having animals that won't eat enough!

Platys 005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yup, sounds like good healthy Platynota, I just put a huge platter in for mine daily and they come out in groups and feast together through out the day. Most of them will eat 2 or 3 times through out the day between naps. Their settling in well!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Oh, Jeff, that Picture is priceless. He is looking at the greens and thinks "yes, I am going to eat YOU!"
<3

romesh

5 Year Member
Pune, Maharashtra
hi i have a 6" star tortoise..
i give him spring mix except for lettuce, hibiscus leaves and flowers..

i wanted to know.. HOW MUCH QUANTITY OF FOOD SHOULD I GIVE HIM EVERYDAY ???

radhika

5 Year Member
Ya I also had this question. For this I had the discussion wth many persons.
And finaly I got the solution -- it is not good to feed them more they mudt remain a but hungry but that does not mean u starve them. It is best to feed them is 5 times of there head's weight.

Hope this will help u also.

River14

5 Year Member
Hatchlings I find will bask maybe,eat as much as they need then got to sleep or hop in the water. Just throw away the nasty food that spoils that they left. I dont think you can over feed star tortoises the right kind of food. They brows all day except when it gets too hot or too wet etc then they hop in bed. Certainly in as far as I have read overfeeding the wrong kinds of food can be a bit nasty for them.

If they are grazing and they are herbivores they will just eat and poo all day unless weather conditions are intolerable then they will go to ground if there is a nice hole available (it doesnt even need to be vacant) or seek other shelter.

River14

5 Year Member
Rahika how are yours?

They are such sweet little things I cant believe isn't that true?

They are doing fine so far touch wood.

I just went and collected them for the night. All I do is pop them in a open wooden box (with a bamboo open weave top and a stone on top of that so rats cant jump in) outside under cover and then put a double handful of hay on top and they dont move until early morning. Its true they sit and wait for the birds to sing then they start munching the hay. They are indeed very good eaters and love exercise. Very nimble on their toes.

I love looking at their "lips" all green from the grass when I bring them in. Its like ahaha!!! So you have been munching all day? No use hiding it. Cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.