Feeding Shrimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Myers, FL
Is it ok to feed shrimp to my Redfoot? If so, is there a good way to cook it for her or just serve it raw?

Thanks!

Frank

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I am no dietary expert, but I would have to say only in small amounts. Remember, shrimp is not a part of their natural diet, so be careful. I don't see anything about shrimp that may be toxic in high levels except maybe mercury, which in high doses can cause kidney and brain malfunctions, or death. Seafood is tested for toxic mercury levels on a regular basis. Are you buying it from the store, or fresh caught?

-Matt

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I feed all my forest type torts fresh water shrimp (basically small crayfish) when available in store. I feel that in natural habitat they eat terristial crusteans when found (i.e. hermit crabs).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I feed shrimp to my Redfoots and Hingebacks occasionally. I do not cook or prepare them in any way.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I have fed shrimp to my redfoots in the past and when I did I boiled it for about 3 minutes and waited unitl it had cooled down. I personally have not fed shrimp to my RFs in a while due to the fact that I live on the gulf coast and I am paranoid about the oil; but that is my personal decision. Ultimately its your call, and if you do decide to feed shrimp to your tortoises make it a rare treat as it will cause kidney and brain damage if consumed in large amounts and eaten frequently.

I hope this was helpful!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not worth it Frank.. I don't care if the shrimp is free and someone else does the work - variety has it's limitations!

NERD

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Most shellfish is high in cholesterol and phosphorous and low in calcium and not a source of vitamin D, but it is high in proteins and Omega-3 fatty acids.

Personally, I think that you get more bang for your buck by using salmon, mackerel, or tuna which has most of the same nutrients, but adds good vitamin D3 to boot.

But, if you have some shrimp laying around, properly 'safed', why not once in a blue moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.