Ground venison as protein?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
Would it be ok to feed my redfoots a little bit of ground venison for their protein? It's really lean, completely organic, and I had a good year, so I have a lot :D

If it's ok, should I cook it first, or just unthaw and feed raw?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Check out Terryo's posts. She feeds her RF's venison as part of their diet every couple of weeks. (not sure about the cooked/uncooked question, though I would imagine cooked. It wouldn't be cooked in the wild but might as well make it more digestible).
Here is a thread about it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-43990.html
scroll down to post #4 and beyond.

PS. I made a venison stew for humans last year that was absolutely delicious!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I think it would be fine - but I would cook it before offering it. Good luck! :)

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
lynnedit said:
Check out Terryo's posts. She feeds her RF's venison as part of their diet every couple of weeks. (not sure about the cooked/uncooked question, though I would imagine cooked. It wouldn't be cooked in the wild but might as well make it more digestible).
Here is a thread about it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-43990.html
scroll down to post #4 and beyond.

PS. I made a venison stew for humans last year that was absolutely delicious!

Thanks for the link. I like the food processor idea. I can't believe I never came across that before. And I also love some venison stew myself. I'm a pretty avid hunter, and eat it a bunch of different ways, once or twice a week most of the year.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I gave my red foots a bit of fresh chicken liver and thin slices of our own beef-they went wild for it, I don't do it very often but feel as part of a healthy varied diet is fine.
I guess some raw meats may carry parasites though ??

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I was wondering about parasites too. I used to eat the steaks a little pink but with the 300% increase in Lyme's disease in my area, I'm too paranoid now. It gets cooked the whole way through. I don't think it's even possible to spread it through digestion but it still makes me paranoid. I'll just cook it plain and set some aside for them before I make tacos or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.