Feeding too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny525

5 Year Member
Okay, so I started out feeding my RT a huge handful of her spring mix/other green every morning. But, in the afternoon when I open the cage she comes running looking for food and even tries to bite my fingers thinking I have food. Well I think this means she is hungry so recently I have been feeding her twice as much- one big handful in the morning and one big handful in the afternoon. How do I know if I am feeding her too much or not enough??? I am afraid she will be overweight, but I don't want her to be unhappy or underweight either. Also, it seems like if I do not feed her in the afternoon she just hides in her log and is unhappy. What is the right ammount to feed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are the red ear slider of the tortoise world. Have you ever seen red ear sliders come to the side of the aquarium when a person enters the room, swimming frantically back and forth across the glass like he's starving to death? Well, that's a russian tortoise. Once the weather warms up, you can get him outside for grazing. That's really the best place for Russian tortoises. Because in the real world, their "up" time is so short, they are hard wired to eat as much as they can find before the cold weather set in and they have to hibernate. They need lots of exercise and enough food so it looks about the same size as the tortoise.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
She's probably just overjoyed at being fed regularly. I feed mine small amounts twice a day. If they ask.

Penny525

5 Year Member
Okay, I guess I am just panicking because I want to take good care of her. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.