AAS2018

Location (City and/or State)
England
My 6-year old Russian has been unwell for a few months and been diagnosed with Mycoplasma. We’ve been going to the vets and trying antibiotics and new foods but he’s still not eating and very lethargic. We’ve decided the best course of action is fitting a feeding tube and this is being done on Monday.

Does anyone have any experience with how tortoises adapt to feeding tubes? I’ve researched a lot and obviously very worried with the operation and also him getting used to this being in his neck. Any reassurance / advice would be appreciated.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
My 6-year old Russian has been unwell for a few months and been diagnosed with Mycoplasma. We’ve been going to the vets and trying antibiotics and new foods but he’s still not eating and very lethargic. We’ve decided the best course of action is fitting a feeding tube and this is being done on Monday.

Does anyone have any experience with how tortoises adapt to feeding tubes? I’ve researched a lot and obviously very worried with the operation and also him getting used to this being in his neck. Any reassurance / advice would be appreciated.
I personally dont have any experience with it. However, here are some videos I saw years ago that may give you some insight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my understanding that there are no antibiotics tat attack mycoplasma.

Keep in mind when feeding through a tube, tortoises are slow. their stomac doesn't empty as fast as other animals. Don't add food too much too often.