Feeding

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Can anyone help with what to try and feed my sulcata on, the only thing she will eat is cucumber. Which I've been told not to feed her but if I don't give her that she doesn't want to eat anything else? Any advice would be fantastic just don't want to be feeding her wrong but don't know what to do.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get some spring mix and put that in there . Chop it up fine with the stuff it likes and wait . It we will eat they are like us they will holdout for junk food .

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Mike, I will give that a try. I'm sure she would eat if given nothing else but I would hate to think of her hungry. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
As with a young child, you should be able to mix the cucumber with "healthier" options and ease your tort into learning to like it. It seems that having torts is a lot like going through terrible twos sometimes. I know I feel grateful to have a support system here…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LJWharton88 said:
Can anyone help with what to try and feed my sulcata on, the only thing she will eat is cucumber. Which I've been told not to feed her but if I don't give her that she doesn't want to eat anything else? Any advice would be fantastic just don't want to be feeding her wrong but don't know what to do.

Something is not right here. A healthy sulcata should be a little eating machine. Sure, if allowed, some of them will be picky, but I haven't seen one yet that would turn down lettuce of some sort or spring mix (rocket salad). Like Mike said, you should be able to use the old mince and mix technique, but I'd like to know a bit more.

How old? How many grams? How is she housed? How was she started? What type of UV bulb are you using? Heat bulb? What are your four temps? How often do you soak? How was this tortoise started, wet or dry?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tom is so right about this. I too have noticed that when the environmental factors are in balance the sulcata will eat. We all have made the mistake of trying to find foods that our tortoise will eat when the problem is that he is too cold, or he feels insecure because he is too exposed in the enclosure, or the light we are using makes the food look funny to him. It would really help if you could post a picture of your enclosure and tell us how you are keeping your sulcata.