Ferrets swimming?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Anybody let their ferrets swim in a pool with pool chemicals. My ferrets enjoy swimming in the bath tub. Just figured they would enjoy a dip in the pool.
Didn’t know if pool chemicals would aggravate them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Anybody let their ferrets swim in a pool with pool chemicals. My ferrets enjoy swimming in the bath tub. Just figured they would enjoy a dip in the pool.

I would bet that they would be just fine, just like we would...as long as you are there to offer them a break as they likely can not exit easily.....I am guessing you are using the word chemicals meaning the regular human pool set up right? :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I also would take care in assuring that they can not escape into the yard and become lost....as they are very quick and curious....while I think they would do fine in the pool, I believe I would limit them to the tub or a kiddie pool on and enclosed porch where escape is not an option....just my two cents.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I would bet that they would be just fine, just like we would...as long as you are there to offer them a break as they likely can not exit easily.....I am guessing you are using the word chemicals meaning the regular human pool set up right? :)
Yeah just regular pool chemicals. I would be in the pool with them.
Thanks for the reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to use a salt water pool with greatly reduced chlorine levels. If its a regular pool, pick days where chlorine levels are low. I used to let my 7' water monitor swim in the pool a day or two before the pool man was coming. There was almost no chlorine by then. Chlorine levels will be highest in the day or two after you add it.

I swim dogs in regular pools and the normal stuff doesn't bother them, so I think it would be fine for a ferret too.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Best to use a salt water pool with greatly reduced chlorine levels. If its a regular pool, pick days where chlorine levels are low. I used to let my 7' water monitor swim in the pool a day or two before the pool man was coming. There was almost no chlorine by then. Chlorine levels will be highest in the day or two after you add it.

I swim dogs in regular pools and the normal stuff doesn't bother them, so I think it would be fine for a ferret too.
How is it having a large monitor, I love monitors. Just never got the nerve to get one.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
IMG_3863.jpg
This is George.. he’s very active and does lots of things with me. He loves to play in the shower but I had never invited him into the pool or tub until I saw this thread.. it was a little overwhelming for him at first and he stayed on my shoulder. He finally decided to take the plunge and swims very well. This is a saltwater pool. I was not concerned about him getting in the water for little fun.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Ferrets are fun! Just wish they weren't so stinky lol

That’s a two part deal.. their natural musk and their poop.
For the musk, I spray mine with a spritzer daily and change their bedding and hammocks out weekly.
I use a water additive that helps with the muskiness as well.
For the poop... scoop n flush. They are habitual creatures and poop as soon as they wake up. So every morning and every afternoon I scoop the poop & pee and then they get play time out.. these are second generation ferrets and they are almost smell free. It took 9-1/2 years of the first generation for me to figure it all out:)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
My aunt my have first generation or 1/2 generation coz every time i leave her house after playing w the ferrets i can smell them for hours lol

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
My sister used to have a couple at home, here backyard has been occupied by a big ferret nation cage. I am not a fan of this animal but I find them cute.
My wife isn’t a fan at all lol. Males smell more than females. My ferrets have a large cage in their own room. We let them out a few hours each day. I love them, but they are the last pair I will get. They are a lot of work, and most vacations I end up taking them with me because it’s hard finding someone to watch them