Fifth nail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMan

5 Year Member
I have had my male Greek Tortoise for about six years now, and he is like my best friend! I recently noticed Rocket (my tortoise) was growing a fifth nail on his front right foot. I trim his nails monthly, and have never had anything like this happen before.

Is this normal? Of should I be worried?

Thanks,

Hailey and Rocket:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You are certain it is a nail right? I knew this lady that had a 6th finger on her hand, I believe it was a kinda thumb thingy--was kinda weird, especially when she would wiggle it....ewwwwww..(the thumb I mean :D)

If you have confirmed it is a nail, I do not think I would be too worried--especially if it does not appear to pose a prob for your tort...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Can you post a pic? And Angela thats hilarious I dont think I would be able to control myself if I saw someone with an extra thumb thingy lol :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
RocketMan said:
I have had my male Greek Tortoise for about six years now, and he is like my best friend! I recently noticed Rocket (my tortoise) was growing a fifth nail on his front right foot. I trim his nails monthly, and have never had anything like this happen before.

Thanks,

Most tortoises and turtles do have five claws on their front feet. Only a few types, like the Russian tortoise and eastern Hermann, have only four. Is your guy just growing a claw that was just too short to notice before?

EDIT: Could it be that your guy is actually a Hermann, not a Greek? If so, maybe he is a mix between the eastern and western Hermann subspecies, and growing a fifth claw late in life?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
GeoTerraTestudo said:
RocketMan said:

Thanks,

Most tortoises and turtles do have five claws on their front feet. Only a few types, like the Russian tortoise and eastern Hermann, have only four. Is your guy just growing a claw that was just too short to notice before?

EDIT: Could it be that your guy is actually a Hermann, not a Greek? If so, maybe he is a mix between the eastern and western Hermann subspecies, and growing a fifth claw late in life?

Chances are the fifth front claw just wasn't as well developed. But it was always there. They don't just come out of nowhere.

All subspecies of Hermann's can have either 4 or 5 claws on their front feet. In fact most commonly 5 claws per front foot & 4 on the back. But some occasionally (rarely) even have 5 on their rear feet. Russian tortoises, as far as I've ever seen or heard of always have 4 front claws. But of course there may be exceptions to that also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hailey:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And Angela thats hilarious I dont think I would be able to control myself if I saw someone with an extra thumb thingy lol

Now, imagine that little nubbie thingy wiggling....lol....so weird and funny at the same time....like you did not want to watch but could not stop yourself ....

Status
Not open for further replies.