Fighting w/ new tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinky_Rifter

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

So I've had my first tortoise for a year and a half now. My girlfriend surprised me a couple weeks ago and get another one. They have been fighting and have been seperated. My first tort is the instigator in the acts, but I'm wondering if this is typical with tortoises that have lived on their own or if I may have two males.

FE9E1BBD-2998-4B04-A704-85326583928D-1592-000002BCFDEDBE1D_zps95fb5479.jpg

My first tortoise

62B6F088-9B4F-4321-B52F-68CAD5A0E95C-1592-000002BD016E448D_zps1e603645.jpg

My new tortoise

At this point we are try to assimilate them together with being able to see each other but not fight each other. Try to soak them together and let them roam around together but not sure if this will make them peaceful with each other.

Appreciate any advise I can get.

Thanks,
Stinky

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Although the redfooted tortoises get along in groups very nicely, I'm pretty sure what's happening with your two is that you have placed a new tortoise into an existing tortoise's territory. Tortoises are very territorial and the "homeboy" is naturally going to try to chase the newbie out. After a quarantine period (hint, hint) it would be best to have a whole new habitat set up and introduce the two tortoises in a brand new (to each tortoise) habitat. It might work out better that way.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I agree with Yvonne here.

you'd be better off to create a brand new enclosure for both of them so there isn't any "defending of territory.." otherwise you may need to introduce the new tort for a short period every day and increase it gradually (15 minute incriments more every week) until they get along.. lastly be prepared if it never works out.. good luck

Stinky_Rifter said:
Hi Guys,

So I've had my first tortoise for a year and a half now. My girlfriend surprised me a couple weeks ago and get another one. They have been fighting and have been seperated. My first tort is the instigator in the acts, but I'm wondering if this is typical with tortoises that have lived on their own or if I may have two males.

FE9E1BBD-2998-4B04-A704-85326583928D-1592-000002BCFDEDBE1D_zps95fb5479.jpg

My first tortoise

62B6F088-9B4F-4321-B52F-68CAD5A0E95C-1592-000002BD016E448D_zps1e603645.jpg

My new tortoise

At this point we are try to assimilate them together with being able to see each other but not fight each other. Try to soak them together and let them roam around together but not sure if this will make them peaceful with each other.

Appreciate any advise I can get.

Thanks,
Stinky

PS I'd put my money on the bet that you have two females with slightly different genetic backgrounds

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man,put them on some boxing gloves and let them at it! Just kidding your going to have to keep them a part.They will get along sooner or later . But you need to make sure your new one will not get your old one sick.Quarantine,and if your not sure Quarantine some more! Get some poop samples and take them to the vet make sure it's healthy could be a carrier of something that's why emys said to quarantine them.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Both look too young to sex. How large is the enclosure?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
And you have probably got one "Cherryhead" (the first one) and one "Northener" (second one). They are both Redfoots but come from different regions. It's not unusual thet Cherry males can be very intolerant towards other males, and tend to be more agressive...

Stinky_Rifter

5 Year Member
One enclosure is 4x5. Second enclosure is a 50 gallon Rubbermaid until i can get something built. At this point living in an apartment so they will get some outdoor time once it gets a little warmer and stops snowing. I realize bigger is always better and defiantly looking to expand their living arrangement's until I can provide a more permanent exterior area during the warmer months.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
agree with Matt and the Eggman about quarantine and aggression -
always quarantine new arrivals -
the cherryhead males start to show territorial behaviors even at relatively small sizes -
and your new tortoise being a "northern" will reach maturity at a larger size -
they should be kept separately as adults since they are different forms

Status
Not open for further replies.