Finally got a couple redfoots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Just got our redfoots. My children named them Princess Penelope and Fluffy. Unfortunately, no one at Petco knows how old they are. I'm guessing a year. Can't tell by their size.

Anyhoo, how often should they be fed in the day? This was their first morning here, and I fed them some romaine and hibiscus leaves with mango juice dressing (they wouldn't eat it, otherwise). In the afternoon, the kids gave them a small snack of mangoes and they also received a small piece of a grape leaf.

I'm posting pictures of them and hoping they post. I'm posting one with my daughter for size reference and hoping someone can give a guesstimate how old they are.

I appreciate any help with this.

Shoots, I thought I was in "General Discussions."

Attachments

• IMG_1018_.JPG
    IMG_1018_.JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1021_.JPG
    IMG_1021_.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 63

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Great looking tortoises, I bet your kids are thrilled! What are the lengths of the tortoises? 4 inches?

jpdhld

5 Year Member
Nice I also have a redfoot she is great! She has such a crazy personality! Watch out your going to spoil your torts ;) there are something's my jewel will just not eat! Picky just like the kids lol! And she wants to eat when we eat! She smells out food! As to how often we feed her I give her food about mid morning about the size of her shell and if we are not home it last her all day/---- she likes to eat with her family funny girl! When we are home she eats some at bfast lunch and dinner :) have fun getting to know your torts!

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
IMG_1030.JPG
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Great looking tortoises, I bet your kids are thrilled! What are the lengths of the tortoises? 4 inches?

Thank you! They're excited.

I don't know if you measure by the shell or up to the head. The shell comes to about four inches and up to the head (when not straightened out) comes to about five inches.

wellington said:
Congrats, they are cute. Your daughter is cuter though:)

Thank you!

jpdhld said:
Nice I also have a redfoot she is great! She has such a crazy personality! Watch out your going to spoil your torts ;) there are something's my jewel will just not eat! Picky just like the kids lol! And she wants to eat when we eat! She smells out food! As to how often we feed her I give her food about mid morning about the size of her shell and if we are not home it last her all day/---- she likes to eat with her family funny girl! When we are home she eats some at bfast lunch and dinner :) have fun getting to know your torts!

LOL! That's cute! I think ours could care less about us at this point. Is yours about the same size?

Just gave them some romaine and mostly endive with a spray of calcium. Although, Penelope ate a little bit, Fluffy was hesitant. I think they're waiting for their mango juice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Both are very cute!!! Yup, they are like kids. They can be very picky.
It could take her a few weeks to adjust so try not to let the kids handle her to often. Only to soak really. I also heard that the "spray" calcium can be really bitter compared to powdered. You can also buy bird cuttle bone and just leave it in the enclosure and she can nibble on and keep her beak trimmed. You have some lucky kids.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
kamoopsipooh said:
Just got our redfoots. My children named them Princess Penelope and Fluffy. Unfortunately, no one at Petco knows how old they are. I'm guessing a year. Can't tell by their size.

About a year is a decent enough guess.

Anyhoo, how often should they be fed in the day? This was their first morning here, and I fed them some romaine and hibiscus leaves with mango juice dressing (they wouldn't eat it, otherwise). In the afternoon, the kids gave them a small snack of mangoes and they also received a small piece of a grape leaf.

It is not so much 'how often' as 'how much total'. They can have almost all the green stuff they can shove down their gullets, but there should be a strict limit on sweets and meats.

The Library, linked below, may be able to help with some of this as well!

Good luck! They are great pets!

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
kamoopsipooh said:

About a year is a decent enough guess.

It is not so much 'how often' as 'how much total'. They can have almost all the green stuff they can shove down their gullets, but there should be a strict limit on sweets and meats.

The Library, linked below, may be able to help with some of this as well!

Good luck! They are great pets!

Great! Thanks! Now I can relax!

Status
Not open for further replies.