Rescued this baby!!!

Jesswelch

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hiii!! I’ve non stop been crying since I found him/her. I’m thinking due to research it’s a he but not fully sure. I have NO idea how old he/she is. Does anyone know a preferred diet they have used w/ their russian porpoise? He was sooooo scared of me untill i held him on my chest and he gained some trust. I love him like a son and want only the best for him. If anyone has any tips or any info on how old or if he’s a wildbred or anything. please comment!! he deserves more than the world and i want to give him that. (ps. i’m doing TONS of research. he’s all set up now but i’m going to deck it out for him.) I felt so bad flipping him upside down like that but i’m definetly thinking he’s a male because his tail is long & thick. if anyone has any tips or info pls help a girl out. He deserves the world and i want to offer him every piece of that. I love him to pieces. I appreciate it. (not sure of a name yet either) Is he/she male? either way she/he serves & will live the bouggiest like he/she deserves. and he’s such a gentleman…
Thank you 💗

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Jesswelch

Florida
All i do is sit and watch him like a weirdo… want to make sure he’s okay. how do i set his lamp up correctly?? he’s small but i got a very large enclosure he can roam and i ordered items for him to make comfortable for him. like hiding spots. Along w other things he has now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it is a male tortoise so be sure to treat and house like a tortoise. A minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure not the floors of your house.
A basking area with an incandescent flood bulb that temp reaches 95-100.
All over temp that ranges from 75-80
Night temp can go into the 60's.
Humidity 50%.
Hard to say how old with knowing nothing about him.
Likely wild caught so over 10-15 years.

Jesswelch

Florida
Yes it is a male tortoise so be sure to treat and house like a tortoise. A minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure not the floors of your house.
A basking area with an incandescent flood bulb that temp reaches 95-100.
All over temp that ranges from 75-80
Night temp can go into the 60's.
Humidity 50%.
Hard to say how old with knowing nothing about him.
Likely wild caught so over 10-15 years.
wow you think 10-15 yrs already? he’s so smalllll! his enclosure is massive i bought two differnt lamps. one for night time since i like my room cold & one for day time. i was recommended 100 watt which i bought. I hang it at an angle so it’s not fully covered w straight heat. is that okay? I’ve ordered him tons of stuff for his enclosure which i’ll get soon but for now he’s burrowed in a bra of mine i made into a dome. Is he okay? he was running around exploring but i didn’t have too much set up yet. Now he’s just relaxed under my bra 😭😂. It’s his first day w me. + i’m playing soft music i’d think he’d like gosh idk what i’m doing but just want too love him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First you have to treat him like a tortoise not a human and they don't have human feelings. He needs a box, not your bra. A plastic box with a hole cut into it or a clay pot turned on its side or a log lifted and placed on two rocks or bricks so he can get under it
He will need some time to get adjusted. Lights and heat should hang straight down not on an angle. Music means nothing to him, again it's a tortoise. If you don't get your head wrapped around the fact it's a tortoise, you will do wrong by him and be disappointed because he is not going to respond like a human or dog. You can love a tortoise without treating it like a human or dog.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

In the meanwhile take a thoughtful read of this post:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ This will help you to avoid common beginner's mistakes and make your guy thrive. Also, at the bottom of that post is linked a care sheet for temperate species with more details on care specific for Russian tortoises. Make a checklist and go step by step: enclosure (size, substrate, hides and etc.), lightning and heating, diet ans so on. Don't hesitate to ask questions, check with us if you have set things right. Many adore their tortoises and the best way to show them our love is to make a great environment for them. Hugs, soft music and roaming on the cold floor aren't what they need to be happy.

Jesswelch

Florida
Yes! He does not roam whatsoever He has a big enclosure & heated lamp for day & night time. Just want to do right for him. Thank you!!

Jesswelch

Florida
wow you think 10-15 yrs already? he’s so smalllll! his enclosure is massive i bought two differnt lamps. one for night time since i like my room cold & one for day time. i was recommended 100 watt which i bought. I hang it at an angle so it’s not fully covered w straight heat. is that okay? I’ve ordered him tons of stuff for his enclosure which i’ll get soon but for now he’s burrowed in a bra of mine i made into a dome. Is he okay? he was running around exploring but i didn’t have too much set up yet. Now he’s just relaxed under my bra 😭😂. It’s his first day w me. + i’m playing soft music i’d think he’d like gosh idk what i’m doing but just want too love him.
when i say running around he was moving around burrowing under his mulch in his enclosure**

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it is a male russian tortoise, and almost full grown. The males don't get as big as the females, and he probably won't get much bigger than he already is. It is a small species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree that you have a wild caught adult male Russian. He was probably purchased at a pet store. They are escape artists and someone is probably looking for their lost tortoise. Have you tried to find the owner?

Understand that most of the info out in the world for tortoise care is old and wrong. If you've been looking at YT, FB, reddit, talking to pet stores, etc..., you have likely received the wrong info. For example, Russians are a temperate species. It gets cold where they come from. They do not need night heat if your house is staying above 60 degrees. I would stop trying to do "research" as it will lead to confusion and frustration. Stick with us and we will get you pointed in the right direction.

Likewise, pet stores will sell you all the wrong bulbs, bowls, substrates, etc...

You say the enclosure is massive. What are the dimensions? They need at least 4x8 feet, like the size of a full sheet of plywood, when they are indoors. And that is a minimum, certainly not massive. Outdoor enclosures should be even larger. They would wander miles in the wild.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

This is the same thread that Alex left for you. Read through it at least twice:

Questions are welcome.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to you and your "found" tortoise. If my tortoise escaped, I sure would hope someone would try to find his owner. Maybe his owner loves the one you found. He looks well cared.

Jesswelch

Florida
First you have to treat him like a tortoise not a human and they don't have human feelings. He needs a box, not your bra. A plastic box with a hole cut into it or a clay pot turned on its side or a log lifted and placed on two rocks or bricks so he can get under it
He will need some time to get adjusted. Lights and heat should hang straight down not on an angle. Music means nothing to him, again it's a tortoise. If you don't get your head wrapped around the fact it's a tortoise, you will do wrong by him and be disappointed because he is not going to respond like a human or dog. You can love a tortoise without treating it like a human or dog.
So so true. I only want to do right by him. His light is fixed he’s in
Hello and welcome!

In the meanwhile take a thoughtful read of this post:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ This will help you to avoid common beginner's mistakes and make your guy thrive. Also, at the bottom of that post is linked a care sheet for temperate species with more details on care specific for Russian tortoises. Make a checklist and go step by step: enclosure (size, substrate, hides and etc.), lightning and heating, diet ans so on. Don't hesitate to ask questions, check with us if you have set things right. Many adore their tortoises and the best way to show them our love is to make a great environment for them. Hugs, soft music and roaming on the cold floor aren't what they need to be happy.

Jesswelch

Florida
So so true. I only want to do right by him. His light is fixed he’s in
Thank you so so much! He is roaming his enclosure today!!. And enjoys the red light vs the daytime one he has. Now as far as his meals i tried a simple variety of options to see what he would eat & what he doesn’t prefer & he hasn’t touched it. I know it will take him time to adjust. Since i rescued him i want to take him to the vet asap. Hopefully they can give me some info on him. Thank you sooooo much! i’ll reach back out w further questions. Seriously appreciate you 💗

Jesswelch

Florida
Hello and welcome to you and your "found" tortoise. If my tortoise escaped, I sure would hope someone would try to find his owner. Maybe his owner loves the one you found. He looks well cared.
I wish:( Seemed as though his previous “owners” only fed him carrots. Thought he was fine & He was sick till i got him to the vet. That’s the problem w animals. They can’t tell you what they’re going through. Me as well thought when i found him he was healthy. But that wasn’t the case. Don’t judge a book by its cover. My dog & I found him dehydrated and malnourished and I grabbed and found every way to take care of him. Don’t hate on animal lovers. We’re only trying to help them. Whoever owned him didn’t give a **** about his diet maintence or simply love him. Which i will do. he is need of proper care which i will do everything i can to make sure he NEVER lives the way he had too again.

Don’t hate on beginners. I’m doing my best. He’s not my first baby to rescue. He’s my first i won’t let go of.

Jesswelch

Florida
Hello and welcome. I agree that you have a wild caught adult male Russian. He was probably purchased at a pet store. They are escape artists and someone is probably looking for their lost tortoise. Have you tried to find the owner?

Understand that most of the info out in the world for tortoise care is old and wrong. If you've been looking at YT, FB, reddit, talking to pet stores, etc..., you have likely received the wrong info. For example, Russians are a temperate species. It gets cold where they come from. They do not need night heat if your house is staying above 60 degrees. I would stop trying to do "research" as it will lead to confusion and frustration. Stick with us and we will get you pointed in the right direction.

Likewise, pet stores will sell you all the wrong bulbs, bowls, substrates, etc...

You say the enclosure is massive. What are the dimensions? They need at least 4x8 feet, like the size of a full sheet of plywood, when they are indoors. And that is a minimum, certainly not massive. Outdoor enclosures should be even larger. They would wander miles in the wild.

Here is the correct care info for your species:

This is the same thread that Alex left for you. Read through it at least twice:

Questions are welcome.
Yes thank you! His