Inherited

Mouzel

Location (City and/or State)
Bath
Hi I have just inherited a Hermann tortoise, I’m guessing he’s around 30years he’s been living outside and has just come out of hibernation, and has been left mainly to his own devices! I‘m going to keep him indoors until its warmer, and I have a safe place for him to roam, but I’m a bit worried as he hasn’t eaten yet, what would be best to tempt him with do you think? , also do you think it would be ok to give him a bath (he’s probably never had one) I don’t want to frighten him, i have him in a temporary home until new table arrives, I’d appreciate any advice.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi I have just inherited a Hermann tortoise, I’m guessing he’s around 30years he’s been living outside and has just come out of hibernation, and has been left mainly to his own devices! I‘m going to keep him indoors until its warmer, and I have a safe place for him to roam, but I’m a bit worried as he hasn’t eaten yet, what would be best to tempt him with do you think? , also do you think it would be ok to give him a bath (he’s probably never had one) I don’t want to frighten him, i have him in a temporary home until new table arrives, I’d appreciate any advice.
Welcome!

I'd suggest checking out this sub-forum:

and also this guide:

I'd definitely give him a soak, just about level with his leg-holes when he's standing, in warm water.

My grassland tortoises favorite foods are radicchio, dandelion flowers, hibiscus flowers, and butternut squash (although I only give a bit of the squash once a week or so)... I'd also supplement with a tort-kibble like Mazuri, softened and thinned in warn water to the consistency of a thick salad dressing mixed over their greens once or twice a week for a bit (to make up for any nutritional shortcomings in his past).

Jamie

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, read the caresheets and ask questions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
You're in at the deep end but you're in the right place for great help. I had a steep learning curve too but thankfully found this forum.

In addition to the caresheets www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods. While weeds are scarce I use Aldi crispy mix (the dark blue bag) as a base and add leaves like lambs lettuce, pak choi, leaves, romaine (occasionally), kale, soring greens and other safe foods from the tortoise table for variety. Florette classic cripsy bags have a good mix but are expensive so I try to mix and match cheaper versions. No fruit to be fed though - torts can't deal with sugars. Torts love cucumber but it has little nutritional value and has a laxative effect as does iceberg lettuce.
You can use pellets occasionally but they shouldn't be the main diet, my tort won't touch them. Nutrazu is the UK version of Mazuri which is popular in the US and is good for feeding occasionally.
If he eats you need to keep him warm to stop him going back into hibernation while it's still cold here, you don't want food to rot in the gut.

You'll also find this useful

Good Luck!

Read the caresheets but don't hesitate to ask questions.

Last edited:

Mouzel

Bath
Hi and welcome,
You're in at the deep end but you're in the right place for great help. I had a steep learning curve too but thankfully found this forum.

In addition to the caresheets www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods. While weeds are scarce I use Aldi crispy mix (the dark blue bag) as a base and add leaves like lambs lettuce, pak choi, leaves, romaine (occasionally), kale, soring greens and other safe foods from the tortoise table for variety. Florette classic cripsy bags have a good mix but are expensive so I try to mix and match cheaper versions. No fruit to be fed though - torts can't deal with sugars. Torts love cucumber but it has little nutritional value and has a laxative effect as does iceberg lettuce.
You can use pellets occasionally but they shouldn't be the main diet, my tort won't touch them. Nutrazu is the UK version of Mazuri which is popular in the US and is good for feeding occasionally.
If he eats you need to keep him warm to stop him going back into hibernation while it's still cold here, you don't want food to rot in the gut.

You'll also find this useful

Good Luck!

Read the caresheets but don't hesitate to ask questions.
Thank you, he’s had a bath which I’m not sure he was to pleased about, and he’s been loving the basking lamp, and he’s started to eat a little which is great, I bought the mixed leaves which contained the lambs lettuce, tried cucumber but doesn’t seem to like that, he likes Kale which I always have here as I have rabbits !, just waiting for his table to arrive now so he can have a proper home ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you, he’s had a bath which I’m not sure he was to pleased about, and he’s been loving the basking lamp, and he’s started to eat a little which is great, I bought the mixed leaves which contained the lambs lettuce, tried cucumber but doesn’t seem to like that, he likes Kale which I always have here as I have rabbits !, just waiting for his table to arrive now so he can have a proper home ?
Well, welcome to the forum. The two of you can get to know each other while you figure out how to become his "food god or goddess". Ask questions & we love photos!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's fine that he doesn't like cucumber, it's not a good regular food. I only ever use it if my tort seems constipated and then I grate some of the flesh. The Tortoise Table will help you find a balanced diet - can't wait for the weeds to come back!
Baths are a great way to keep them hydrated and reduce the risk of stones because even if they don't drink while they are in it, they absorb water through the cloaca, so he'd better get used to them! If you put a terracotta plant saucer - big enough for him to stretch out in - in his enclosure he may soak himself.

Mouzel

Bath
Help again please, the table I ordered won’t be ready for 5 weeks, my fault should of checked before ordering. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one please (in the UK) . i need one asap

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Try Amazon, if you have prime it'll be delivered quicker, doesn't pets at home sell them?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. We have a Hermann tortoise too, but he is only 21 - I expect yours will take a while to adjust to his new life, - tortoises develop fixed habits, just like humans. If he doesn't eat much, don't worry - once he is more settled, he will be more interested in food.What is his name ? Has he been kept outside most of the time- and does he choose to hibernate by himself, or was he put into hibernation each year?
Best wishes
Angie