Finally got mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston TX
Hello Ya'll
Well after lots of research & hrs spent on this forum 1 finally rescued 2 Redfoots from Petco here .
I live near Galveston Texas so the humidity & temps here should be fine for The redfoots .
I have been watching these tortoises for 3 weeks.
They were always very inqisitive when i would walk to the tank .
I went in there the week b4 x-mas & they were gone.
I walked to the other side & there they were in another tank with 4 russian tortoises .
6 tortoises about 3.5 to 4 " long in a 20 gallon tank.
This upset me to the point where i called the sales person & told her i want the 2 redfoots NOW.
Well i have them at home & they are doing fine .
Checked the SCL &the male is 4.5 inches & the female is 4"
They are in a 40 gallon critter keeper .
I am using mosser lee moss mixed bed a beast as a substrate .
The male? longer u shaped scute near tail has red to orange scales on legs & tail& lots of yellow on head .The female ? has a sharp v shaped scute near tail? is red scaled on legs,tail & head
They are on the diet everyone on this sight seems to use.
Dark leafy greens for 2 days (collards,mustard,turnip)
2 days they are fed apples ,pineapple,squash
2 days dark leafy greens & 7th day pro plan weight management cat food dusted with rep-cal calcium with d3
As it warms up i plan to convert a 6 by 10 chainlink dog run that my Mini Schnauzer refuses to use into the ultimate tortoise enclosure for summer time use.
Once the are outside i plan to use only rep cal calcium without d3.
i know i am just rambling on here but i have been wanting these types of tortoises for over a year & i finally found 2 that needed a good home .
As soon as i get pictures i will try to post here .
i also have a 16 month old 21 inch long beardered dragon that is my girl.She is brumating now so now i can play with Archie & Edith while she sleeps:)
Thanks to Terry Kilgores Care sheet i hope to have good luck raising these Torts
Mike D.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Congrats Mike! How exciting for you and I LOVE the names you chose! SOOOO cute!

You may want to take them in for a fecal. Lots of talk about petco torties having parasites. Just a thought!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Stick with Terry's care sheet and they'll be just fine...Congrats on getting them!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Those torts were very lucky to have found you. Good luck with them. I've been following that care sheet for three years now and am very pleased with the results. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike:

So glad you were in a situation to be able to get those tortoises out of the Russian aquarium! Can't wait to see Archie's and Edith's pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.