Pairing 2 Redfoots?

Psev

Hi. New member here. I have a very large enclosure that I am custom building. L shaped table. Long sides are 8 feet and shorter sides 5 feet with it being 3 or 4 feet wide. Haven't decided yet.
I am wanting to start off with 2 Redfoots, both same age around 6 months old.
My question is, Is it a good idea to have 2 redfoots together? And if it's ok that I do this? Does it matter the gender? I know your can't really tell gender that young. But would I need to get 2 females or 2 males? I am not looking to breed. Thanks for your help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot might be called the exception to the "don't keep 2 together" rule.
I kept a pair in a large enclosure for years. Looking back, there was some activity that I now understand as bullying.
Females of the species seem to tolerate each other as long as there is ample room and most juveniles seem to be calm about it.
But if you end up with a male and a female, the female will be perused 24/7.
If you end up with two males, it will soon be a match for the best turf.
It might be subtle. It might be more.
I say that you should prepare to separate them at some time in the future. Just in case.
I also want to say that even in my harmonious group of 5 adult females, one adult male and one juvenile male that things haven't been all roses.
I've had to ad and remove a few individuals for different reasons. They don't all act the same way.
So it would be irresponsible of me to say that it will work and say that it might. But depending on your circumstances, maybe you shouldn't try.

Psev

Thanks for your input! That's basically what I wanted to hear and know. I'll prob end up only getting one for now then. As I won't have my eyes on them 24/7 to make sure nothing bad is happening. Thank you!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I got 2 RF babies right before finding this forum. I did ask the breeder for advice and never advised against... anyway mine are still very young and so far very placid but, I'm ready to split them up at any time if need be. I've been posting a lot on this topic. I know for sure that if after being active on this forum for almost 2 yrs and learning so much I had to make a decision, I'd just follow the advise given here. You can't go wrong with it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. We had a member here a year or two ago that had a pair. We advised her to separate them and she ignored that advice. Six weeks later she came back asking us what to do because one tortoise had literally eaten the tail and back leg of the other in an effort to drive the victim out of its territory.

While this extreme certainly doesn't happen every time, two tortoises do not want to live together. It is very stressful for both.

Groups of juveniles are a different story. Group dynamics are very different than pair dynamics.

One is best, but groups of three or more can usually work too, as long as you have a plan to house them all separately should their be a problem.

Psev

Thanks for the help everyone! I've tried asking different breeders and they all didn't give me straight answers I was looking for. So I'll end up jus getting one more than likely. I jus thought with my enclosure being so big i could get 2 and be ok. The more I research I do any ways. Seems like tortoises like being alone and don't care if they with someone.

Last edited: