finally have a weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i finally got a digital gram scale today. now i can keep track of louis' growth.

on january 8th when i bought him, he was 2 inches long. i was told that he was 5 months old. not sure about that.

on february 9th, he was 2 1/2 inches.

on february 29th, he was 2 3/4 inches.

on march 20th (today), he is now 3 inches long and i finally have a weight. he is 93 grams.

if the previous owner was correct, he should be 7 1/2 months old now. does that sound like an average weight and length for a sulcata that size? i think it sounds rather small. i'm wondering if he's just now about 4-5 months old. but either way, at least he's doing great. and i'm constantly amazed at how attached i've gotten to him. :)
101_3751crop2.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It does sound small but it is hard to say for sure, there are different variables that can affect growth rate. Such as diet; if he was fed a poor diet for those "5 months" before you got him then he wouldn't have grown much. But he's growing now. :) Rather than trying to compare his growth against an average, I would suggest keeping track of his weight/length and comparing his growth against itself over time.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, don't worry about comparing your tortoise to others. With the scale you can monitor the weight and as long as you have steady growth then your little one is doing good.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks guys. yeah, i'll start weighing him each week now and make sure he's doing good. sure do like the little guy! :)

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
Hmm it is hard to say if that is small or not. It really depends on the tortoise itself, they all grow at their own pace. Both of mine are five months, one is 2 1/2" and 75g. The other is 3" and 97g. I have been tracking their weight since 2/11 when I bought them, they started out at 45g and 59g. I like mine to feel heavier than they look.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
At 7 mos. Nodder was 2 1/2" and 70 grams.
They're all different.
As long as there is growth, it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.