weight gain question

julie rozzi

I bought a sulcate from a pet store i was told her was 7 months and he went from 140 to 260 grans in 2 1/2 months is that good weight gain. i have another on that does not seen to gain weight was stuck at 60 grams for months and now moved to 85 grams what should i do for the other one to get it to gain weight

julie rozzi

warm side of the tank is 90 cool side 70-80 they have grazing grass growing in the enclosure they eat greens and mazuri i soak them every day

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Did you kept them in the same enclosure? Or separated enclosure?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
what could be going on is a dominance from the larger tortoise. when this happens the smaller one is does not get as much food, so it will stay smaller. tortoises are solitary creatures and will do best when kept alone.

julie rozzi

they are together but i have had the smaller one longer they bother eater a lot but the bigger one eats non stop

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
they are together but i have had the smaller one longer they bother eater a lot but the bigger one eats non stop
You need to have them separated ASAP. We have many, many thread discuss this issue. If you read some of the thread posted by Tom, you will understand why.

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Your little one could have been ill when you received him, and is now just getting better to grow. This is just a quess. Lets remember that tortoises take along time to get better if they were ill. good luck