Finally some growth!

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I got Hoppy (leopard tortoise) in December around 3.5 months old. For the first 2 months I had him he didn't gain any weight and I got really worried about hatchling failure. After talking more to his breeder, it sounds like he was fed a diet of romaine lettuce, cactus, carrots, and strawberry tops...not the most varied diet for a Leo. He also told me they "grudgingly" ate Mazuri. From day one I got Hop, I started him on cactus, hibiscus leaves, grass, and some clover. He ate the cactus but didn't seem too interested in food, was pooping a bit each day but no growth at all. So after talking to his breeder, last month I switched him back to the diet he was used to. Now he eats like a monster, devouring a good handful of lettuce each day and is making massive poops. Finally starting to see new growth in his shell and after a giant poop today, I weighed him and it looks like he's gained 10 grams in one month! I'm still cautious about hatchling failure since he is still pretty small for his age (6 months today), but am reassured by this new growth. Just wanted to share some pics. Now that he's eating almost 3 times the amount he used to, I'm slowly reintroducing back the more appropriate greens. He loves his cactus and lettuce, and will actually spit out hibiscus. It's gonna be slow getting him switched to a more varied diet but I'm glad he's finally gained some weight.

Left is from Jan 8, right is Feb 10
IMG_4808.JPG
IMG_4810.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
It's very cool seeing the two images next to each other. What a beautiful baby! ;)

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
Even more growth a month later!!

Left is Jan 8 and right is March 10. Crazy how much he's grow. Since I first started documenting this. It's now noticeable that his vertebral scutes are smoothing out.
IMG_4983.JPG IMG_4985.JPG