Finished enclosure what so you think?

Greg Earnest

lookin good. what about some type of grass? would provide ground cover and be eaten
I have some Mexican feather grass, that's what Is in the 3rd picture. I'm trying to find a piece of sod I could put in there to provide some other grass and a cool spot he could rest on. I'm not sure what type of grass to use though

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have some Mexican feather grass, that's what Is in the 3rd picture. I'm trying to find a piece of sod I could put in there to provide some other grass and a cool spot he could rest on. I'm not sure what type of grass to use though

might I suggest you ditch the sod idea? instead buy some untreated grass seed (clover, dichondra, horse pasture grazing seeds work too) and spread it all over the enclosure. Cover it with a thin layer of soil and keep it damp for a few days. In no time you'll have yummy edibles growing all over!

Greg Earnest

might I suggest you ditch the sod idea? instead buy some untreated grass seed (clover, dichondra, horse pasture grazing seeds work too) and spread it all over the enclosure. Cover it with a thin layer of soil and keep it damp for a few days. In no time you'll have yummy edibles growing all over!
Does it grow fast? Because my tortoise seems to eat the plants faster then they grow!! Haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? I think you need a lot more shade. Watch the temperature in there very carefully.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A great start, looks good, but as you are already discovering, you will tweak it and add things and have new ideas forever.
Which is good.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When the entire enclosure is sprouting with plants, it won't all be eaten.

Tom is right...make sure you have lots of shade and with all that space I bet you could make a nice, long burrow tunnel...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Have you seen the cinder block hide @kameya uses? I think something like that would be great for you.

Or even the tote /underground hide that @Jodie made for her Russians.

Oh man...I miss setting up enclosures. The more I look at your photos the more I want to do stuff to it LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is he only out there in fair weather? If he is out there all day, you need to add some heavy shade ASAP. Making a more underground burrow, something deeper with more dirt on top, might help too.

Shade cloth, misters and sprinklers could all be used to cool things a bit too.

Greg Earnest

Is he only out there in fair weather? If he is out there all day, you need to add some heavy shade ASAP. Making a more underground burrow, something deeper with more dirt on top, might help too.

Shade cloth, misters and sprinklers could all be used to cool things a bit too.
There is a lot of shade, It was just really cloudy so it doesn't show how much shade he has. Also he has a pretty deep burrow, with dirt on top and another one not as deep he can hang out during the day just for a nice cool spot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a lot of shade, It was just really cloudy so it doesn't show how much shade he has. Also he has a pretty deep burrow, with dirt on top and another one not as deep he can hang out during the day just for a nice cool spot

Have you run a thermometer probe down into the burrow to see what the temp is when its 105 topside?

That's the way to be sure its all good. I'm always curious too.

Greg Earnest

Have you run a thermometer probe down into the burrow to see what the temp is when its 105 topside?

That's the way to be sure its all good. I'm always curious too.
I actually have not, thank you for that suggestion I'll have to do that tomorrow.