Fir bark or Cyprus mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Today I stopped by petco and decided to change from Cyprus mulch to fir bark because the cyprus mulch was black in one bag and very wet in the other. Now I'm wondering if I should return the fir bark and patiently wait for better Cyprus mulch or if I'm ok to use the fir bark as a top covering of the dirt in my tortoise table. Am I safe to let him live with that? I've heard both good and bad. What do I do?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Cypress mulch, coco coir, and soil are generally preferred over fir bark, because they can hold moisture better and provide a more humid microclimate than fir bark can.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have been using Douglas Fir mulch for some time now with no issues. We are using it with all of our species that need the humidity. As long as it is fir and not pine or cedar, you will be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I really, really LOVE the fir bark for my tortoises. I buy the fine grade (as opposed to medium or large) and it just works out great. Holds moisture well, is easy to walk on.

However...For steppe tortoises I prefer something more "dig-able." Steppe tortoises love to buy themselves, and dirt works great for that. You can either buy top soil with no additives from a home improvement store, or dig some clean dirt out of your yard.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Sounds good. Thank you. I'm happy he can get some new substrate before we move.

Status
Not open for further replies.