Fire safety

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hey everyone!

I just have a general question that I thought might be worth the discussion. How do you make sure your tortoise tables are safe and you are mitigating the risk of a fire? 🤔 I have two thermostats, that are monitoring things from each end of the table, but I’m just wondering if there are other things I can do…

Advice greatly welcomed!

Thank you 😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thermostats, ceramic light fittings(not plastic), making sure anything like pvc material isn’t touching any fixtures, if spraying the enclosure making sure not to get water near the electrics, perhaps others will have more suggestions🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
no extension cords
no cheap plug strips
arc fault breaker or device
Good ones!! Though I know plenty of members that use extension cords without issue, sometimes it’s the only way to link your bulbs to your thermostats, or allow wires to reach where enclosures are in the home

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Extension cords almost always have to be use. So just make sure they aren't cheap ones, they are appropriate for the wattage going to be used on them and if they are the strips, they have a surge protector.
Do not use hay as a substrate, use ceramic sockets for any heat or lights that get really hot, above what a regular light fixture bulb would get and make sure all lights and heat are hung/anchored securely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone!

I just have a general question that I thought might be worth the discussion. How do you make sure your tortoise tables are safe and you are mitigating the risk of a fire? 🤔 I have two thermostats, that are monitoring things from each end of the table, but I’m just wondering if there are other things I can do…

Advice greatly welcomed!

Thank you 😊
-Be sure your heating and lighting is mounted correctly and hung from over head.
-Do not rest heat lamps on screens where they can be moved.
-Do NOT use the clamps that come with "clamp lamps". Those clamps always fail.