Fire safety

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hey everyone!

I just have a general question that I thought might be worth the discussion. How do you make sure your tortoise tables are safe and you are mitigating the risk of a fire? 🤔 I have two thermostats, that are monitoring things from each end of the table, but I’m just wondering if there are other things I can do…

Advice greatly welcomed!

Thank you 😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Extension cords almost always have to be use. So just make sure they aren't cheap ones, they are appropriate for the wattage going to be used on them and if they are the strips, they have a surge protector.
Do not use hay as a substrate, use ceramic sockets for any heat or lights that get really hot, above what a regular light fixture bulb would get and make sure all lights and heat are hung/anchored securely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone!

I just have a general question that I thought might be worth the discussion. How do you make sure your tortoise tables are safe and you are mitigating the risk of a fire? 🤔 I have two thermostats, that are monitoring things from each end of the table, but I’m just wondering if there are other things I can do…

Advice greatly welcomed!

Thank you 😊
-Be sure your heating and lighting is mounted correctly and hung from over head.
-Do not rest heat lamps on screens where they can be moved.
-Do NOT use the clamps that come with "clamp lamps". Those clamps always fail.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Thank you so much everyone! I did use a clamp, but changed it with the advice given on the forum in a previous chat. I’m so grateful for advice like this because it’s so easy to trust in a product and expect it to do what it needs to do.

I have an extension chord for one of my thermostats, but I checked with an electrician ahead of time to make sure I could use it. I’m also planning to pay for a new socket to be installed as well. I got some cable tidies too which I’m going to add tonight!

I’ve learnt the hard way with the cheaper products too… this has been a really reassuring chat because I was concerned I wasn’t doing enough. 😵‍💫

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much everyone! I did use a clamp, but changed it with the advice given on the forum in a previous chat. I’m so grateful for advice like this because it’s so easy to trust in a product and expect it to do what it needs to do.

I have an extension chord for one of my thermostats, but I checked with an electrician ahead of time to make sure I could use it. I’m also planning to pay for a new socket to be installed as well. I got some cable tidies too which I’m going to add tonight!

I’ve learnt the hard way with the cheaper products too… this has been a really reassuring chat because I was concerned I wasn’t doing enough. 😵‍💫
I’m someone who overthinks everything when it comes to Squirts safety, from electrics, to substrates, dishes, the lot, you’re doing a great job looking into these things❤️