1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

first clutch

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by Mojavejaz, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Mojavejaz

Mojavejaz New Member

My 20 year old female red foot laid for first time today. I have two equally large males with her. I don't know how many eggs yet since I'm going to leave them in ground for a week before placing in incubator. I'm familiar and successful hatching sulcatas and leopards but have never had red foot eggs before. Is there something I should do differently to maximize likelihood of successful hatching?
  2. Redfool

Redfool Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Wow, first clutch at 20 years old? My RFs first laid at about 8yrs and got to consistent numbers and fertility rates at 10yrs. They usually lay 6 to 8 eggs monthly through a 5 to 6 month fall/winter laying season. But remember, a 20 year old tort is many years from midlife.
  3. Mojavejaz

Mojavejaz New Member

She may have laid previously and I just missed it, but this is the first year she exhibited that restless nest searching behavior all day before finally deciding on a suitable spot. She seemed to have a lot of trouble getting that first egg out - took forever and I nearly intervened to pop the egg so it would pass.
    I’m wondering if I should incubate the eggs in a more moist environment than I do my leopard and Sulcatas eggs?