First guess sexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Since Harper is almost 5" I figure it's time to take a guess at her sex. I'm guessing female. Enjoy!

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Could you explain the reasoning for your answer? I say female because the plastron is flat and anal scutes seem more in line with a female at this point.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
My guess is male based on the growth of the tail and position of the cloaca thus far. The anal scutes and concavity of the plastron can always change as he grows.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Girl, at least so far. About 80% sure.

Tail: Male tails are amazingly long in this species.
Penis: Young 'teen' torts of most species are embarrassingly enthusiastic about proving they are males by showing off.
Anal scutes: In female red-footeds, the anal scutes form a V-shaped opening of about 90 degrees, and the points of the scutes nearly touch the carapace marginals. In makes, the opening is much more open- almost 180 degrees, and the points are much farther from the marginals.

Then, finally, is the lack of an in-curved plastron.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
Madkins, I thought that the cloaca in females was closer to the plastron and more toward the tip of the tail in males with a scale-like structure at the tip. My redfoot looks exactly like Harper for the tail section and I always thought Turbo to be male. Im def not an expert xD but that was just my understanding of determining the sexes.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While the cloacal opening is key in many species, the red-footed tortoise has a lot less hind end mobility than other species since the carapace and rear marginals curve inwards to protect the rear from jaguars, etc.

When you see an adult male red-footed tail, the thing is HUGE and sort of eliminates the need to worry about the cloacal opening. They need this long tail to reach around the mostly closed shell of the female. That is also why the anal scutes form the different shapes- the more open male shape allows more tail movement.

In my own very limited experience, I NEVER got any of my known males to let me photograph their tail- they ALWAYS kept it tucked up tight. My females, on the other hand, often let their much shorter tails hang out.

Status
Not open for further replies.