First Nest Protector

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My folks live by the water where turtles are constantly visiting this time of year to bury eggs. Just about all of the nests on their property are eventually dug up and destroyed; we saw several yesterday. This turtle was already laying when we arrived, so while we were there, husband fashioned together a nest protector similar to those that we've seen used before. Using scrap wood on the fly, this one is kind of a test since we don't know which animals keep digging up the nests, including neighborhood dogs. It's a small pine frame with metal mesh over it and staked into the ground with shims. There should be a small space underneath for baby turtles to escape. I hope I can provide some positive updates on this nest but whether it can stand up to raccoons and everything else remains to be seen. I think the turtle is a painted but honestly I am no expert.

turtle.jpg

protector2.jpg

protector1.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That is cool.

I've used metal baskets with tent stakes in my enclosures to keep them from digging up their own eggs. I like the escape hatch idea. Mine did not have that.