First time hybernating tortoises

OutlawJosi

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My name Is Josi and last year I got 2 Arizona desert tortoises. I believe because of size and shape differences, one is male (Dozer), and the other female(Pebbles). I was told they were 2 years old when they were given to me. Three days ago One of them woke up. Pebbles I believe. But we havent seen Dozer yet. Should I be worried? Did something happen to him? Should I dig him out? Or is he just sleeping in? Help please. Im a nervous wreck. TIA.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

No way for us to know, but its very dangerous to just leave them outside to hibernate, and temperatures at or near the surface fluctuate far too much. Next year hibernate them indoors in controlled conditions.

Also, they should never live in pairs. This is why one is larger than the other. They need to be in separate enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josi, and welcome to the Forum!

When you figure out how to, please post pictures of the two tortoises so we can be sure we're talking about the right species.

Where are they brumating (hibernating)? Can you reach the one that hasn't come out yet? If so, go ahead and pull him out and check his reflexes. But it's not unusual for tortoises to wake up at different times. There may be nothing wrong.

Reactions: Tom