First time Mazuri user question?

WildeAxel

Location (City and/or State)
Abbotsford BC
Yesterday I purchased a bag of mazuri tortoise pellets from the local petstore. I fed Axl half a water softened pellet yesterday and today he is quite...lazy. Tucked into his shell, streching out his legs, not running towards his salad, even after our morning bath time. He didn't even seem to perk up with the baths? And his eyes have been closed.

I called the petstore once it opened and asked what kind exactly the mazuri is since it came in a ziplock bag and labeled. The lady informed me it is the "normal tropical and omnivorous tortoises" I looked online and at he pictures of the pellets and I THINK its the Tortoise Diet LS.

Is this appropriate for a western hermman? The store asked me when I purchased it what type I had and I told them, hermanns.

Could this be the reason for him acting out of the normal?

I also changed his substrate last night to Eco Earth..

IAxl (2).JPGAxl.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Besides the half of mazuri, what else did he have to eat?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How big or old do you think he is? He looks small and might be too cold.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hope an expert chimes in, I know tortoises can be sick for some time without showing symptoms. Maybe try to get him warmer

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For babies of any species I keep the whole enclosure around 80F degrees. I'm not real sure, but I'm guessing your baby got cold with a full stomach. Warm him up. A warm water soak might help

WildeAxel

Abbotsford BC
For babies of any species I keep the whole enclosure around 80F degrees. I'm not real sure, but I'm guessing your baby got cold with a full stomach. Warm him up. A warm water soak might help

He has perked up a bit now and has eaten some of his salad. Whole enclosure at 80F you say, moving the light from one side to the center would help me achieve this.

I will try that and make sure he keeps getting better and tomorrows routine is back to normal.

Thank you!