mazuri

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Oh? I had been reading not to give them fruit bigger then there head no more then once a month?
I fed fruit to solitary redfoot hatchling and based it on 1 piece the size of the head every other day with weeds.
For my herd of babies I feed fruit on its own every 3rd day.
So my fruit diet is probably more like 30% of their diet. Not saying 55% is wrong at all.
I read a study a while back that concluded 70% fruit in wild redfoots diet. However, that could have been seasonal and the wild fruits are no way near as high in sugar than our captive fruits.
Can't help with mazuri, we can't get it over here.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
I lean heavily on my hibiscus bushes.
Branches, leaves and flowers.
I feed at least some type of hibiscus almost daily.
I leave cuttlebone un my pens. Sometimes they nibble it. Often times they dont.
I don't use calcium supplement.
(mine live outside)
But when I did, I found it hard to get my tortoises to eat it.
I used REPASHY brand mixed in with wet Mazuri.
They ate that just fine.
Also, the egg shell on the crushed eggs contain calcium.[

Also I have heard different things regarding grapes and there skins but I see that it’s ok so my question is do we need to remove and skins on anything we prepare? Veggies or fruits?

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
No clue what happened there but...

I have heard different things regarding grapes and there skins but I see that it’s ok so my question is do we need to remove and skins on anything we prepare? Veggies or fruits?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No clue what happened there but...

I have heard different things regarding grapes and there skins but I see that it’s ok so my question is do we need to remove and skins on anything we prepare? Veggies or fruits?
I don't feed grapes very often. My vines don't produce a lot.
I do peel banana, but rarely feed it either.
I don't peel or skin anything else that I feed.
I make some cuts in mango so that my tortoises can get a grip on the smooth skin.

CrisP

Kihei, HI
Oh? I had been reading not to give them fruit bigger then there head no more then once a month?

My mango tree was terrifically prolific last spring (50 to 100 pre day for about a couple of weeks!). I found a few pits in my RFs enclosure that had apparently fallen in. Up until then I had been cutting and peeling them (duh!) Found them eating some whole payapas that had fallen when they were out for a 'walk'. Now I just throw some whole ones a few times a week when I have them. Now if my fig tree would start producing! :)

Rhea

Missouri
I’m so glad I saw this! I was just going to write something like this! I too have a Mazuri loving tort! My Rolo, a Russian is crazy about it. Another thing is hand feeding bad? I hand feed her and now when she sees my hands(fingers) she basically runs to them and tries to bite them. I’ve let her bite them to show they are not food but that does no good. It’s probably another one of those stop hand feeding her! Lessons. It’s just so darn fun!!! But I don’t want to condition her to bite fingers and only eat when hand fed.