mazuri

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
Should I be concerned that Tuck likes his Mazuri now more then he does his greens? He will chow the mazuri and just nibble his greens now :( and i mix it softened but still in pellet form

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is pretty normal. I only offer Mazuri twice a week and make them eat regular stuff the rest of the time. If they get picky on me, I stop feeding Mazuri entirely until they start eating their greens with more gusto.

Is Tuck a RF? I'd like to hear form people who keep RFs about this question since their diet is a little different than the diet of my tortoises.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Yes @Tom Tuck is a RF did you see my post about his plaastron? Just want your opinion on that when you get some time. So I would just back of and feed once or twice a week. I am finding it hard to find things to feed veggie wise during the winter and also what’s your opinion on getting there there protein and calcium. The guy I got tuck from isn’t do capsicum supplements or protein so..... and I want to keep it as natural as possible

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes @Tom Tuck is a RF did you see my post about his plaastron? Just want your opinion on that when you get some time. So I would just back of and feed once or twice a week. I am finding it hard to find things to feed veggie wise during the winter and also what’s your opinion on getting there there protein and calcium. The guy I got tuck from isn’t do capsicum supplements or protein so..... and I want to keep it as natural as possible

I don't keep this species, so I think you'd be better served by getting tips directly from someone who does. We have lots of RF keepers here.
@ZEROPILOT
@Anyfoot
@cdmay

I know here are many more, but these guys come to mind immediately.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You'll have to maybe go COLD TURKEY with the Mazuri and not offer it at all for a week or two and just feed everything else.
I've had times that I spoiled my RF with too much Mazuri and they decided they wanted nothing else.
Now they eat it and anything else I offer them.
Offer a bit of a lot of things. Redfoot can eat a huge variety of items. You're lucky.
Redfoot like most others will pick and choose if they think it'll work.
Teach them that it doesn't.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
You'll have to maybe go COLD TURKEY with the Mazuri and not offer it at all for a week or two and just feed everything else.
I've had times that I spoiled my RF with too much Mazuri and they decided they wanted nothing else.
Now they eat it and anything else I offer them.

Thanks any ideas on the other issues with feeding?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mazuri is fine as part of the diet.
Something like 10-15% Mazuri. Up to 50% fruit like figs. Some crushed up whole boiled eggs for protein and leafy greens and flowers.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I lean heavily on my hibiscus bushes.
Branches, leaves and flowers.
I feed at least some type of hibiscus almost daily.
I leave cuttlebone un my pens. Sometimes they nibble it. Often times they dont.
I don't use calcium supplement.
(mine live outside)
But when I did, I found it hard to get my tortoises to eat it.
I used REPASHY brand mixed in with wet Mazuri.
They ate that just fine.
Also, the egg shell on the crushed eggs contain calcium.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
.....Even dog or cat food is ok once in a while for this species.
Just mix it up. Not too much of anything.
It'll get easy as you begin to recognize what you can get and find that are RF food.
Also, I feed my group almost every day what they will consume within 15 minutes.
If you can, feed the same time every day. They get used to the routine.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
This is pretty normal. I only offer Mazuri twice a week and make them eat regular stuff the rest of the time. If they get picky on me, I stop feeding Mazuri entirely until they start eating their greens with more gusto.

Is Tuck a RF? I'd like to hear form people who keep RFs about this question since their diet is a little different than the diet of my tortoises.

Same here. I offer Mazuri only when I don’t have any ‘real’ food handy or as a break in the usual diet. It’s easy to get lazy and rely on Mazuri too often I will admit.
But when tortoises begin to get picky and hold out for Mazuri, I cut them off for a while.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Oh I’m not lazy I have a few exotic that I feed so I just do them all at the same time I just heard lots on here recommend it so I was mixing it with his greens lol but I can see where it would be the oerfect feed for someone who doesn’t want to do the work lol one would think just this a food wouldn’t be good for the torts if it was there only source :( thanks for all the good advise guys

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas

Don't forget RF's eat a 55% fruit diet, so add papaya, mangoes, fresh figs (when available), cactus fruit along with the greens.

Mine eat turnip, collard, and dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and radicchio, so you have a wide palate of choices for them.

As for Mazuri, my RF's eat it with gusto, I just give it to them once in a blue moon. Don't make it a normal part of their diet because it has too many "unnatural" tortoise ingredients.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Don't forget RF's eat a 55% fruit diet, so add papaya, mangoes, fresh figs (when available), cactus fruit along with the greens.

Mine eat turnip, collard, and dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and radicchio, so you have a wide palate of choices for them.

As for Mazuri, my RF's eat it with gusto, I just give it to them once in a blue moon. Don't make it a normal part of their diet because it has too many "unnatural" tortoise ingredients.
Oh? I had been reading not to give them fruit bigger then there head no more then once a month?

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
Aqualce, shoot me your email and I'll send you a link to my Redfoot/Yellowfoot video husbandry course for free.

It'll make life a whole lot easier for you and your RF.