New, Question about Mazuri formulas?

Pippi

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi all,
This is my first post, but I’m pretty sure that I haven’t signed out or gotten any sleep for the last week..lol.
I received my new hatchling Leo yesterday. Little guy had a rough shipping experience, but after a humid soak (where he drank just about all of his bath water) and a feeding, he is alert, active and a voracious eater. I am lucky to have fescue, winter rye and volunteer bermuda grasses, a plethora of weeds and my own organic productions of tortoise safe succulents, hibiscus, and just about every herb imaginable. However, I would like to add Mazuri to his diet. I’ve read many posts (a few years old) that discuss the quality of the original formula over the LS small food. However, on the Mazuri website it appears there is the LS Small Tortoise, LS Tortoise and that they are discontinuing the Original (at least the small bag). Has anyone tried the LS Tortoise? Any input would be greatly valued. Thank you!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I use the LS my tort likes it but he's never had the original yet. I believe they are the same, and if your tort likes the LS no problem, but I've seen a lot of people on here say their torts don't like the LS and prefer the original. You can find the original in smaller portions on Amazon.

Pippi

Georgia
I was under the impression that the formulas were quite different. I hesitate to buy a larger bag of the older, because I only have the one teensy hatchling. I believe the original formula contains molasses. I’ve fed enough Senior Horse Feed and Beet Pulp to know not let anything with Molasses sit too long in Georgia Heat and Humidity.
I’ll check Amazon. Thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was under the impression that the formulas were quite different. I hesitate to buy a larger bag of the older, because I only have the one teensy hatchling. I believe the original formula contains molasses. I’ve fed enough Senior Horse Feed and Beet Pulp to know not let anything with Molasses sit too long in Georgia Heat and Humidity.
I’ll check Amazon. Thank you!
I'm not to sure about the formulas. I'm in GA too!

Pippi

Georgia
Oh, wow!! Where?! You can message that info or obviously, not answer at all. Lol!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I believe the LS stands for low starch, and is more of a hay base. The regular Mazuri has more of a corn base. I think most tortoises prefer the regular. Both are a great supplement to a varied diet.

Pippi

Georgia
Has it gotten easier to soak? Any more palatable? Again, I’ve only seen info on the LS Small, not any experiences the LS regular.

Destben

Kansas
LS is low starch. The formula compared the the regular kind is higher in fiber and lower in protein. Which is healthier but a lot of tortoises won't touch the LS kind, but love the regular stuff.

daniellenc

Maryland
Both are fine as TREATS! Most torts like the original which mine gets twice a week with greens. Both are soy, grains, and sugar. None of those ingredients are stellar but good stuff in both is present hence a treat. I equate Mazuri to a commercial nutrition bar. I’ve had my yearlings 1.5lb bag from amazon for a year now. I’m a few months still from being out but it keeps fine indoors. Don’t be shocked if he hates it at first mine did lol. Eventually they will choose it over real food. Again why it should be a treat.

Pippi

Georgia
Thanks Danielle. That info makes me feel like it’s probably not worth it, unless for some reason he goes off his food. With access to the variety of greens (s)he has, it seems sort of pointless to let him go through the process of encouraging him to acquire a taste, enjoy it, but have more nutritional options within reach (as I’m eating an Atkins bar...lol). I was really looking forward to making the Mazuri Meatballs I saw posted somewhere!!!
Thanks all for the info!

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Hi all,
This is my first post, but I’m pretty sure that I haven’t signed out or gotten any sleep for the last week..lol.
I received my new hatchling Leo yesterday. Little guy had a rough shipping experience, but after a humid soak (where he drank just about all of his bath water) and a feeding, he is alert, active and a voracious eater. I am lucky to have fescue, winter rye and volunteer bermuda grasses, a plethora of weeds and my own organic productions of tortoise safe succulents, hibiscus, and just about every herb imaginable. However, I would like to add Mazuri to his diet. I’ve read many posts (a few years old) that discuss the quality of the original formula over the LS small food. However, on the Mazuri website it appears there is the LS Small Tortoise, LS Tortoise and that they are discontinuing the Original (at least the small bag). Has anyone tried the LS Tortoise? Any input would be greatly valued. Thank you!!
I have both, I think they are totally different. Well actually somebody gave me the adult mazuir food, it came with a tortoise I adopted. But the small tortoise LS diet smells just like turtle food and is the size of rice. Real small, they smell like those green pebbles for water turtles.

And the adult one looks and smells just like dog food. Smells and looks different. 20180606_142614.jpg20180606_141748.jpg20180606_141752.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have both, I think they are totally different. Well actually somebody gave me the adult mazuir food, it came with a tortoise I adopted. But the small tortoise LS diet smells just like turtle food and is the size of rice. Real small, they smell like those green pebbles for water turtles.

And the adult one looks and smells just like dog food. Smells and looks different. View attachment 241153View attachment 241154View attachment 241155
There's two LS kinds, a large and small one mine

Attachments

• 20180607_064419.jpg
    20180607_064419.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Anybody know if there are any studies or examples available showing Mazuri is only good as a treat and not good all the time? I mean it says on the bag "Designed for complete optimal nutrition of tortoises" I know you can't believe everything you read but I've met someone here in my county that runs a Turtle/tortoise rescue, and besides the torts grazing grass, Mazuri is the only thing he feeds, and his torts seem to be thriving.

Destben

Kansas
Anybody know if there are any studies or examples available showing Mazuri is only good as a treat and not good all the time? I mean it says on the bag "Designed for complete optimal nutrition of tortoises" I know you can't believe everything you read but I've met someone here in my county that runs a Turtle/tortoise rescue, and besides the torts grazing grass, Mazuri is the only thing he feeds, and his torts seem to be thriving.

It is a nutritional supplement. It’s a way for them to get the vitamins, minerals, and fiber they need if they are on a diet that is lacking like during the winter if all you can get is store bought greens. It should not replace the real diet they need.

daniellenc

Maryland
A long time ago people thought tortoises should eat dog food because it’s healthy. Shortened torts lifespans by a ton. If you search grains and tortoises you’ll see why. There is also sugar in Mazuri which many species should not have. However there is some great and healthy ingredients as well just further down the ingredient list. The main ingredients are soy, wheat hulls, molasses, and other grains.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A long time ago people thought tortoises should eat dog food because it’s healthy. Shortened torts lifespans by a ton. If you search grains and tortoises you’ll see why. There is also sugar in Mazuri which many species should not have. However there is some great and healthy ingredients as well just further down the ingredient list. The main ingredients are soy, wheat hulls, molasses, and other grains.
Thanks I was just wondering. I guess it's marketed that way just to make it sell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The ingredients in Mazuri are a delivery agent for the good stuff. Balanced nutrition. I used to say the same stuff: "Tortoise junk food. Feed your tortoise real food. No processed prepared foods." Etc… Then I decided to listen to people who had kept a lot more tortoise than me for a lot more years than me. They told me it was good stuff, and I decided to give it a try. They were right. I was wrong.

My standard line for Mazuri: "No one is impressed by the ingredients list, but everyone who feeds it to their tortoises is impressed by the results."

I tried the new LS and neither me nor my tortoises cared for it. The original version works much better for me.

Pippi

Georgia
@Tom that was exactly my reason for wanting to dry it in the first place. I will take @Toddrickfl1 ’s advice and seek it out from another source. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom!