Mazuri

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Hello everyone. I have been looking online to try and find the best price for the mazuri tortoise diet. I was looking to get the 25lb bags of the original kind, not the LS.
Any suggestions of some websites that might have a good deal?
Thanks in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ask a local pet store if they can order it for you. otherwise try Amazon or the mazuri site themselves. Sometimes they have free shipping.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I asked around locally. They were not much help. Amazon was the first place I looked but I wanted to compare prices. Heading over to the mazuri site... Don't know why I didn't think of that.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They could but I was quoted a price of almost $50 to do so.
Ouch. How many tortoises do you have? The stuff will go bad if it's stored too long. It's $85 on Amazon so that's no help. Sometimes you can find it at reptile shows cheaper.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
This is for the LS diet. They have ground shipping on promotion for $5.99
https://www.mazuri.com/mazuritortoisels.aspx

I have a bag of the original and am planning to buy a bag of the LS and start weaning my torts to eat the LS. I like the higher fiber content but my torts love the original. It sounds like some kind of crack for tortoises lol.
I will mix X number of original pellets and add Y number of LS to each feed and slowly decreasing the original and slowly increasing the LS pellets.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Ouch. How many tortoises do you have? The stuff will go bad if it's stored too long. It's $85 on Amazon so that's no help. Sometimes you can find it at reptile shows cheaper.
In the process of getting my first tort. I wanted to compare prices for the bigger bags because I know a lady who has a tort also and we were considering splitting a bag to save money. How long are the bags good for?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm really not sure, but they do contain oil so they will go bad eventually. You could probably store it in the freezer.
I have mixed the mazuri with the zoo med grassland tortoise food. I like the ingredients in the zoo med better. I run them both through a coffee grinder than mix them together and sprinkle them on the greens and weeds that I feed. I guess you could do that with both types of mazuri also.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Mazuri website says freezing their product is fine and will help increase storage life. Depending on the size your tort and the other lady's tort and frequency in feeding of this specific food will determine how long this food will last for you.
I would split the bag and freeze your share into 2lb portions in the large ziploc freezer bags. Use as needed.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I buy the 25 lb size 5m21 original, put it in gallon zip locks and keep it in the freezer. This makes about 12 one gallon bags and costs 39.00 from my local feed store. Not bad compared to my produce bill. That will feed my 5 adult redfoots for about 4 months. I keep it in the freezer just to keep it from drawing ants. My redfoots get it soaked or sometimes el dente and sprinkled with calcium carbonate in egg laying season. I think if fed dry to a tortoise it may help with overgrown beak problems. I did this once with a boxie I once had.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
If you can find a feed store you can usually get it much cheaper than at pet stores. They deal in bulk and usually don't have the high profile high rent high markup that the pet stores have. Plus you might be supporting a small business rather than a chain store.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Check your area for a "feed store". A place that sells food for horses, etc. That's where I get mine from.
I use opened bags in a hopper. It lasts for months and months. However, after a while moths hatch out of it. That's when I throw it out. But I almost never have it last that long before it gets used.