First time tortoise owner in Ireland . Please help me

Clarec

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I was given a Russian tortoise (Jeffrey) a few days ago by a neighbour who said he wasn't able to look after him properly . He has been a very welcome addition to our family and we all love him already but I'm anxious and want to make sure we are caring for him the best we can .
Jeffrey is in a large enclosure with woodchip (bought from a reptile shop) he has a heat lamp and a UVB light (broke when we got him but iv replaced it with a new one) , a few large pieces of bark for sleeping under and basking on . Some stone, a large flat water dish and a slightly smaller food dish . Wee have been letting him out to walk about the house during the day and he has been outside once (we don't get many nice sunny days here in Ireland) we have soaked him in some shallow lukewarm water for about 10 minutes after watching a utube video on the best way to do it .
His nails seem to be very long , a really helpful staff member at the reptile shop cut them a tiny bitimage.jpg but he wasn't able to trim very much off them .
I would really appreciate some advice we have never owned a tortoise before and we want him to be happy here :)
Thank you, clare , Northern Ireland . image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Clare, and welcome to the Forum!

Don't worry too much about the Russian tortoise's nails. They (russian tortoises) tend to grow long nails. It's pretty much normal for them. I would worry more that the beak is starting to grow long. You need to be feeding the tortoise large pieces of whatever...pieces that he has to bite off. Also feed him on a rough surface, like a rough stone or piece of cement.

He also needs a deep substrate. They like to bury themselves, so a substrate of about 4" would be good. And use something that you can moisten a bit...not those chips that you have in the picture.

We have a pretty good care sheet at the top of the Russian tortoise section here on the Forum.

Clarec

Ireland
Thank you so much for your reply , wee have some stone in his enclosure I will start to feed him on it , I took him to the local reptile shop and someone there trimmed his beak slightly for us , I have a feeling this poor tortoise was slightly neglected in his last home :(
Should I be moistening substrate ? We had straw but were advised at the reptile store to buy the chips can you recommend anything we could use instead ?
I have read somewhere about pyramiding , judging by the picture should I be worried ?
On pay day I think we might take a trip the the vet for a check up
So sorry I have so many questions we would have ideally had time to research before we got Jeffrey but we took him in at short notice and we have fell in love with him :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Clare welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Clarec

Ireland
Hi grandpa turtle , thank you for the nice message .
This is a brilliant site I'm glad I found it .
I feel very welcome already . :)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
For substrate I'm sure a lot of members here would recommend a mix of top soil and coco-coir, which is a substrate made from ground up coconut husk. You can buy coco coir in pressed "bricks" and expand it in water. The top soil should be free of fertilizers and chemicals. This can be lightly moistened by occasionally spritzing it with water. Just make sure it is not too damp.

If you'd like to have a little more research on Russian Tortoises and have not seen this care sheet yet, maybe take a peek at this link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ .

Welcome and congrats on your handsome guy!

Clarec

Ireland
Thank you for your reply sunnysideup i appreciate it .
It's nearly bed time here in Ireland so first thing tomorrow I will source some coco coir and top soil . Thank you for the link I had a bit of trouble finding the care sheets :)

Clarec

Ireland
Thank u he is so loveable just hope we r caring for him correctly we r new to this

Clarec

Ireland
Thank u I don't feel so anxious after reading all the information here