Okay to eat?

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
If it’s just strictly Hibiscus flowers then it should be fine, check the ingredients! another member recently asked about dried hibiscus flowers and one of our red foot experts said they didn’t see the harm, I’m sure it’d be ok for your herman🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah looks like it’s just pure dried hibiscus flowers, I see no harm🙂
They might eat them dry, but if not, it could be worth soaking the flowers in water for a few minutes until they’re soft, hopefully making them more appetising🐢💚

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this okay for my Herman tortoise?
That is not hibiscus flowers of the type that we are all usually talking about. Those are the calyxes of African hibiscus, Hibiscus sabdariffa, aka: Roselle, and that is the part used to make "hibiscus tea". It is safe to add as a treat to your hermanni diet. I would chop a small amount into small pieces, soak it to re-hydrae, and then mix the little soft pieces with the day's greens. It will turn the soaking water reddish, so don't use too much water. The red soak water can be added to the food too. Most tortoises love the stuff. I grow it myself. They REALLY love the leaves too. I find that most tortoises will devour the leaves the very first time they see this plant, and that is pretty rare. Before drying, the calyxes have the texture of a succulent, and all tortoises love those too.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That is not hibiscus flowers of the type that we are all usually talking about. Those are the calyxes of African hibiscus, Hibiscus sabdariffa, aka: Roselle, and that is the part used to make "hibiscus tea". It is safe to add as a treat to your hermanni diet. I would chop a small amount into small pieces, soak it to re-hydrae, and then mix the little soft pieces with the day's greens. It will turn the soaking water reddish, so don't use too much water. The red soak water can be added to the food too. Most tortoises love the stuff. I grow it myself. They REALLY love the leaves too. I find that most tortoises will devour the leaves the very first time they see this plant, and that is pretty rare. Before drying, the calyxes have the texture of a succulent, and all tortoises love those too.
Im really glad you pointed this out! Feel like I need to go find that other thread now