First timer, humidifier questions

J_Alba1980

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Good morning all! I recently acquired my first sulcata. I"ve had him for 3 days. Temps in basking are 106-110, cool side about 81. He is super active in his 50 gal fully enclosed tank, eats a ton, loves his grass, hibiscus and pansy plants. He's a baby, about 2 months old (so I was told), loves his baths and his humid hide. I found this group hunting for info on how to give him the best quality of life that I can. All of the posts I clicked on were posted from here (usually from Tom lol) I am having issues with his humidity. He has a log hide which I soak in hot water while he is having his morning and evening bath. This gets the humidity up to 80%, but only for a very short time. It sits steady at 10%. I am not happy with that, and I"m sure neither is he! I was considering either rubber mulch under his substrate or a cordless oil diffuser. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips! I'll keep hunting the site for info :)
Jessica

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings welcome to THE SPOT on the internet and elsewhere, for the most current up-to-date info on how to take care of Sully’s.

Sounds like you found the Sulcata info. Great. I’d recommend to stay clear of rubber mulch, it won’t do anything to hold moisture to aid in your humidity.

What kind and how mulch are you using in your current tank? Fine orchid bark, coco coir, peatmoss, cypress mulch are all good substrates. Make sure you have a good amount. You have a lid?

Good luck! Keep posting and upload a pix of your setup.

J_Alba1980

Oregon
I have loose coconut fiber mixed with exo terra forest floor bark. Mostly bark except his humid hide. In there I have a tupperware filled with moistened coconut fiber so he can dig down and get all that moisture sucked into his little body! I want to add some moss to help hold moisture, but I read that it can be an issue with babies getting stuck in it? The tank he is currently sitting in is not a closed enclosure, it has no lid :( I got supplies today to close it up as I rad on here that's better. So by the end of the day, it will be fully enclosed. I'm hoping that helps with humidity!

J_Alba1980

Oregon
Oh, he has a 160 watt Power Sun mercury UVB light for the day, ( the 60w and 100w just weren't keeping the temps high enough) a 100 watt chf for night.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great....work on getting it fully enclosed. Make sure you mix in or add nice moist substrate. There’s lots of good info on the Sully page so I won’t repeat that. Make sure you do the daily warm-water soaks. :)