First tortoise!

amanda22

I'm new to the forums and I'm getting my first tortoise in a couple days! It's a baby cherryhead red foot! I've been researching tortioses for a while now and I almost got a sulcata at one point. I'm so exited!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Cherry heads are great tortoises. Make sure and read through the Redfoot section. Some great information on how to keep em nice and healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the Forum!

Please be sure to read about redfooted tortoises at the Tortoise Library

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Welcome! There's tons of information on the forum to help you raise your little guy the right way:)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Amanda welcome to the TFO from AZ. You didn't say we're you are from . Do we get to see Picts of your new tort and its enclosure ?

amanda22

Well I haven't actually gotten the tortoise yet, the enclosure is coming with it. But it's a 60 gal tank for a little baby tort then I'll probably move it to an outdoor enclosure when it's bigger. I'll definitely post pics when I get them though!! Wait! I'll just post the pic of him/her from the person I'm getting it from! Of course! If I can figure out how........

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! !

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Amanda she's gorgeous! What about Tammi for a girl - cos Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell did a duet yonks ago (as he did with Diana Ross but Tammi Tortoise sounds better)

amanda22

Hi again I got my baby today and he is smaller than I expected. I decided to al him/her cousin it for the time being. Also Im stoked because the original owner had everything right except humidity! I got everything they had for lil it plus the tort for only $190!!!! Any way I redecorated the tank then put cousin it in there an it walked around through the water, over to the live plants, then ate quite a bit if fresh strawberry. After that it went into the log hide.(I put some sphagnum moss in there for humidity) it's been in there for a while. One thing though, redfoots aren't supposed to dig but this guy burrowed on the way home and in the moss under the log.image.jpgimage.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A few things: First off, throw away the colorful tortoise food in the photo. It is pure garbage, especially for a baby. Two, half bury the log so that your little guy can't climb up high and fall off. Then get yourself a digital thermometer and humidity gauge. they are $20 or less at Walmart or Home Depot. (They are MUCH more accurate.) The water and food bowls in your photo you can use later, but aren't any good for a baby. Get flat saucers for that and please include a photo of your light bulbs so that we can determine if they are the ones that will be harmful or beneficial.
Also. It's fine at any age to let your baby out in the sun. Just sit there and watch him and make sure he doesn't get into any trouble. A little real sunlight is the very best thing you can provide.
I also have Redfoot. Five of them.

Last edited: