First two eggs have hatched! Question on hatchling's appetite...

Oldpokeman

Location (City and/or State)
WI
Hello again, my first two redfoot eggs have hatched and seem to be doing well as far as activity and hydration go. I still have not seen my first hatchling eat though and I am wondering at what point should I be concerned? And what can I do if this is concerning? Syringe feeding? Any secret ingredient to stimulate appetite?

The first hatchling pipped on 12/29 and I had to help out of the egg on 1/2. At that point the yolk sac was pretty much absorbed, but it still has not shown interest in food. The second hatchling was bigger, came out of the shell sooner and started eating after about 3 days out of the egg. I soak them for 30 minutes every day and am offering collard greens, dandelion greens, hibiscus leaves, romaine and finely chopped cactus. Basking temp of 96-97 with cool side temp 76-77 and I mist heavily once daily.

Thank you all again!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello again, my first two redfoot eggs have hatched and seem to be doing well as far as activity and hydration go. I still have not seen my first hatchling eat though and I am wondering at what point should I be concerned? And what can I do if this is concerning? Syringe feeding? Any secret ingredient to stimulate appetite?

The first hatchling pipped on 12/29 and I had to help out of the egg on 1/2. At that point the yolk sac was pretty much absorbed, but it still has not shown interest in food. The second hatchling was bigger, came out of the shell sooner and started eating after about 3 days out of the egg. I soak them for 30 minutes every day and am offering collard greens, dandelion greens, hibiscus leaves, romaine and finely chopped cactus. Basking temp of 96-97 with cool side temp 76-77 and I mist heavily once daily.

Thank you all again!!!
The hatchlings should be in a brooder box set up for at least the first 7-10 days. This should be in the incubator or similarly warm area. They should not be in an enclosure yet.

When they do move to an enclosure, 76-77 is too cool for this species and they do not need a basking lamp. The enclosure should be 82-86 all over day and night.

More here: