Fixture for led

Amie.M

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi everyone
I’ve had my RT for just over a year now, I started my set up with a single MVB over an open table. At the beginning of summer I ditched the MVB and built an outdoor enclosure, just using a basking bulb indoors when weather not good enough to put him out. Now summer is almost over I’m planning to use an Arcadia T5 12% alongside the basking bulb. I also want to add some leds for extra light. My question is, what type of fixture is required? Do they need to be hung in a dome type shade, the same as basking bulbs? Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!
Amie

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Use another T5 fixture for LED lighting. One without a dedicated reflector. Hang it overhead and set it on a digital timer so that you can pair it together with the uv(B) T5 fixture.

12-14 hours total
- 4 hours uv(B)
- 8-10 hours LED
Set it up to however you like it to be on. 1000-1400 is usually a good time to keep uv(B) on. Just set the other 8-10 hours of LED time around that.

Only keep the setup on for when you need it during the winter months.

Amie.M

UK
That’s very helpful thanks. So this might seem a dumb question ? but can you recommend a suitable led to use in that fixture? I was looking a bulb types but I’m guessing this fixture would require a tube type led? I’m not that clued up when it comes to lights and fixtures so help is most appreciated

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
That’s very helpful thanks. So this might seem a dumb question ? but can you recommend a suitable led to use in that fixture? I was looking a bulb types but I’m guessing this fixture would require a tube type led? I’m not that clued up when it comes to lights and fixtures so help is most appreciated

There's three different options you can go with:
1. Using 6500k grow T5 HO florescent grow lights (non-LED) which are generally cheaper but not as long lasting. Usually the cheapest option if bought in bulk.
2. Non-integrated 6500k LED tube style light and a separate T5 fixture. Usually the most expensive option. Not by too much.
3. Integrated 6500k LED tube and fixture in one.

You can generally find them under gardening. I myself am not familiar with the UK so I can't really offer any specific brands. Last time I tried navigating Amazon UK I ended up with more frustration than answers.

Amie.M

UK
There's three different options you can go with:
1. Using 6500k grow T5 HO florescent grow lights (non-LED) which are generally cheaper but not as long lasting. Usually the cheapest option if bought in bulk.
2. Non-integrated 6500k LED tube style light and a separate T5 fixture. Usually the most expensive option. Not by too much.
3. Integrated 6500k LED tube and fixture in one.

You can generally find them under gardening. I myself am not familiar with the UK so I can't really offer any specific brands. Last time I tried navigating Amazon UK I ended up with more frustration than answers.

I will look into all three, I’m thinking the second option may be the one to go with. I understand your frustration with amazon, that’s where I was looking when I thought best to ask someone on the forum as I had no real clue what I was looking for! I’m glad I did you have made my search much easier, thank you ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone
I’ve had my RT for just over a year now, I started my set up with a single MVB over an open table. At the beginning of summer I ditched the MVB and built an outdoor enclosure, just using a basking bulb indoors when weather not good enough to put him out. Now summer is almost over I’m planning to use an Arcadia T5 12% alongside the basking bulb. I also want to add some leds for extra light. My question is, what type of fixture is required? Do they need to be hung in a dome type shade, the same as basking bulbs? Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!
Amie
LEDs are easy to use. There are the strip types that are already in their own fixture, or you can use the screw in types, like a regular bulb, in any dome type fixture. I prefer to use bulbs in the 5000K color range. The "warm" ones are around 2500K and they look yellow-ish to me. Sounds like you have a good plan already, but just for reference:

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Amie.M

UK
LEDs are easy to use. There are the strip types that are already in their own fixture, or you can use the screw in types, like a regular bulb, in any dome type fixture. I prefer to use bulbs in the 5000K color range. The "warm" ones are around 2500K and they look yellow-ish to me. Sounds like you have a good plan already, but just for reference:

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Thank you for the information, I did think I’d read that the bulb type leds were also ok to use, but I have ordered 2 of the inter grated tube types now. They are 6000k, and were very cheap to buy from a UK based online led shop. I have been checking out the new care sheet you provided, which prompted me to make some changes. I will be ordering the Arcadia T5 soon for UV, I may have to pass on the solar meter for now due to the cost of a decent one. I plan to only use the UV in winter for 4 hours per day as suggested to me. I became very confused over the whole led thing so thank you very much for all the advice.

Reactions: Tom