Reflector dome needed for flood lamp?

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Changing MVB to 100w Arcadia basking flood lamp attached to thermostat and a UV tube.

Do I need a reflector dome for the flood lamp bulb? I'm changing because I was told MVB is too "intense" and causes pyramiding. But if I add the reflector dome won't it still be intense light?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your basking lamp should not be run though a thermostat. The "sun" shouldn't be going on and off all day. Use a timer instead, and adjust the height of the bulb to get the correct temperature under it.

MVBs are made as flood bulbs and don't "need" a reflector hood, but the hood does help direct the heat where you want it. The reflector hood has little to do with the desiccating effects of the MVB. It will still dry out your tortoise's carapace even without the reflector.

ayrgrn

UK
Your basking lamp should not be run though a thermostat. The "sun" shouldn't be going on and off all day. Use a timer instead, and adjust the height of the bulb to get the correct temperature under it.

MVBs are made as flood bulbs and don't "need" a reflector hood, but the hood does help direct the heat where you want it. The reflector hood has little to do with the desiccating effects of the MVB. It will still dry out your tortoise's carapace even without the reflector.
Okay thanks Tom, what wattage of basking flood bulb would you recommend? 50w, 75w or 100w? It will be about 30-40cm away from torts hight and the ambient temperature in the room is about 18-20°C.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay thanks Tom, what wattage of basking flood bulb would you recommend? 50w, 75w or 100w? It will be about 30-40cm away from torts hight and the ambient temperature in the room is about 18-20°C.
I use 65 watt ones and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under them.

If you have a fixed height for your fixture, you might want to run a rheostat and adjust it that way. My best guess is that a 50 will be too small and a 75 will be too hot at that distance. Only a thermometer can tell you the correct answer.

ayrgrn

UK
I use 65 watt ones and adjust the height to get the correct temperature under them.

If you have a fixed height for your fixture, you might want to run a rheostat and adjust it that way. My best guess is that a 50 will be too small and a 75 will be too hot at that distance. Only a thermometer can tell you the correct answer.
Ok, I'll get the 75w and raise it to perfect temp.

Thanks Tom :)