Flea Collars

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Has anyone used the flea collars using natural ingredients to kill fleas. I get ads on my phone but don't know how they work. Some of the names are Dr Paws, Waggie. Fur-Life, and Breeze En. I been using the Seresto brand for years but am willing to try something new if it works as well.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Has anyone used the flea collars using natural ingredients to kill fleas. I get ads on my phone but don't know how they work. Some of the names are Dr Paws, Waggie. Fur-Life, and Breeze En. I been using the Seresto brand for years but am willing to try something new if it works as well.
I use the Frontline chews

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I had fleas so bad in one evening my DIL got 16 flea bites...They were visable on my white kitten...
71TGEhHVdFS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This thread should prove to be so pertinent soon.😊 when I get my little Fre home with me. I would like to use a flea collar that provides protection from fleas without a pesticide. I've never had to use pesticides on our cat but he's also an indoor cat. Also the way our house is built fleas can't really get in through a basement. I don't want to completely deprive my pup of playing outside when I'm able so protection like that would be really helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never used flea collars or preventatives. If I got fleas, I dealt with it then. I don't like using stuff on my animals as a just Incase, even stuff that's suppose to be all natural.
Even when I raised and showed dogs, I had fleas once. That was brought in by me from my cousin's house.
I do use tick repellent on my Pom when she goes up north MI. With her plentiful fluffy coat, it would be impossible to find them. That's only about twice a year she goes.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Never used flea collars or preventatives. If I got fleas, I dealt with it then. I don't like using stuff on my animals as a just Incase, even stuff that's suppose to be all natural.
Even when I raised and showed dogs, I had fleas once. That was brought in by me from my cousin's house.
I do use tick repellent on my Pom when she goes up north MI. With her plentiful fluffy coat, it would be impossible to find them. That's only about twice a year she goes.
The only way I've brought fleas in is by allowing other critters to come in for a while. So Dilly and Razberri don't need any of that either most of the time. They never go outside and enjoy being inside. I have to have my ways to get them sunshine. I'm not sure my puppy will feel the same. I've read that the breed I'm getting is good with staying indoors. As long as they get enough play time. He'll still need sunshine. I have a pink pet stroller but he's a boy...😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You got me looking. There's some pretty good recipes for a preventative spray you can make yourself. They probably use the same herbal oils in the flea collars. It's 10 drops of oils like peppermint, Rosemary, tea tree, etc with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Put all that in a spray bottle and finish filling it with water.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Fleas get horrible around here. I have an American Eskimo so I have to stay on top of it. Once they get under that fur, there ain't no gettin' 'em back out. We have our yard treated for them ( away from my tort enclosure of course!).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Another thing I found is that Dawn dishwashing soap is a perfect shampoo for animals that get fleas. It actually kills the fleas. And who hasn't seen the baby wildlife hurt by oil spills being bathed with it. That's how gentle it is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had to use the flea killing drops on my dog, CHESTER'S shoulders. He had a horrible flea allergy. Nothing else worked. And he would not eat the chews. No matter how I blended them into other stuff. And giving him any sort of poison. Anywhere bothered me.
I ended up ripping the carpet out of the house and installing wood floors over the cement slab. It worked. Any flea that followed him inside the house was out of luck!
But it doesn't at all answer your question.
I never found an alternative that worked and seemed like a good idea. I hope that you do

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I had to use the flea killing drops on my dog, CHESTER'S shoulders. He had a horrible flea allergy. Nothing else worked. And he would not eat the chews. No matter how I blended them into other stuff. And giving him any sort of poison. Anywhere bothered me.
I ended up ripping the carpet out of the house and installing wood floors over the cement slab. It worked. Any flea that followed him inside the house was out of luck!
I never found an alternative that worked and seemed like a good idea. I hope that you do
I have laminate over the cement slab in some rooms. Tile on some. Fleas can't seem to survive in my house even with area rugs. Even the large commercial grade area rug in the living room is fine. I can roll it up and clean or throw it away and get a new one if I want.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have laminate over the cement slab in some rooms. Tile on some. Fleas can't seem to survive in my house even with area rugs. Even the large commercial grade area rug in the living room is fine. I can roll it up and clean or throw it away and get a new one if I want.
Same.
Unfortunately Suki can't run and play as easily on the wood. No traction.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The Seresto collars work fantastic. Before finding them I tried everything, spent a lot of money fighting fleas. At that time I had 7 dogs and 3 indoor cats. The dogs would bring the fleas in and they got on the cats. The house never got infested with fleas because they had plenty of animals to live on. I couldn't treat the yard because I grow tortoise food. When I bought the first Seresto collars the fleas disappeared almost immediately from both dogs and cats. Didn't put collars on the cats it wasn't necessary. I started this thread hoping someone had tried any of the new collars that claim to be as good as the Seresto. I'm going to stick with Seresto for now, I only need one large collar because because two dogs don't have any fur so don't need collars for them. For the other three I'll cut the large collar and attach small pieces to their regular collars. This way works fine, been doing this since the last 2 pups were old enough to wear and need a flea collar.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm thinking for my puppy I'll use Dawn for shampoo and then herbal oils mixed with apple cider vinegar and water for a preventative spray. Some of the oils would be peppermint, Rosemary, and maybe a little tea tree. There's other oils depending on what you like. Mr. Fre Bee probably will never get to run around in fleabag areas though anyway.😊