Fleas in substrate

Prattbard

Location (City and/or State)
I just went though a fight with some fleas. We I got rid of them 4 times now. Finally figuring out they were infesting the box turtle enclosure. How do I get rid of them? diatamacious earth the heck out of it? misting with dawn dish soap water instead of straight water? suggestions? Turtle is cold blooded so they aren't bothering her at all. But I stick my hand in there to feed her, and they are on me like crazy. and the cat who lays on top of the screen. Which then reinfects the house, starting the cycle over again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just went though a fight with some fleas. We I got rid of them 4 times now. Finally figuring out they were infesting the box turtle enclosure. How do I get rid of them? diatamacious earth the heck out of it? misting with dawn dish soap water instead of straight water? suggestions? Turtle is cold blooded so they aren't bothering her at all. But I stick my hand in there to feed her, and they are on me like crazy. and the cat who lays on top of the screen. Which then reinfects the house, starting the cycle over again.
Hello. Your poor kitty probably gets the fleas first. My old vet and trusted friend, told me that even house cats can get fleas. The fleas come in through your basement. Best wishes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I used Trifexis when my dog got fleas and within 2 days they were completely gone from my dog and house and haven't come back

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I use trifexis on my yorke, frontline on my cats, advantage on my ferrets, and stronghold on the big dogs.. we live in The country so the squirrels, deer, and numerous other forms of wildlife keep the fleas coming.. there is not a one in my house though:) Adams flea spray is a good topical for pet beds and such. Safe around most all animals though I would double check about torts. I have never used it around mine..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I use trifexis on my yorke, frontline on my cats, advantage on my ferrets, and stronghold on the big dogs.. we live in The country so the squirrels, deer, and numerous other forms of wildlife keep the fleas coming.. there is not a one in my house though:) Adams flea spray is a good topical for pet beds and such. Safe around most all animals though I would double check about torts. I have never used it around mine..
I've only had to use that stuff a few times, a few years ago. Adams is really good. It got rid of fleas and eggs in the carpets, couches, etc...if I have to I would use revolution on our cat but only because we have a house rabbit and they like to lick each other.

Hugostan

London
Hello, regarding fleas, could you tell me which product you used to get rid of them? I'm currently looking for methods to deal with fleas. I have already ordered a product online, but I haven't used it yet because I want to make sure of its effectiveness.
Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do fleas bite tortoises?
Do fleas live in tortoise enclosures?
This is something I've never seen. But I seldom keep tortoises indoors
That is what I was wondering too.

@Prattbard, Are you sure these are fleas and not phorid flies, or springtails?

If it is fleas, you will need to treat the animals and the environment to get rid of them.

Phreeflow

CA
Sounds like springtails…are they biting you or just tiny bugs that are hopping around?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That is what I was wondering too.

@Prattbard, Are you sure these are fleas and not phorid flies, or springtails?

If it is fleas, you will need to treat the animals and the environment to get rid of them.
Prattbard post was 2019. But Hugostan has a problem now too, not sure what animals are involved with his...!