flipping over when he climbing

ahawashin

Hi
My sulcata keeps flipping over on his back when he tries to climb his hide
It's a half log
So I put a lot of coco coir around it to make it look like its a slide on both sides , is this good ?
Should I change it and put another hide ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414378832.845279.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414378846.935318.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414378856.657039.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414378873.882464.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It should work. If it doesn't, I would get rid of the log and use something that has straight sides, that he can't climb. Some members believe in letting them learn to flip themselves back over for which they leave things in that may make them flip, others, like me, don't like to take the risk. If they don't learn it fast enough and you don't find them soon enough, death is the price they pay.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've found my baby RF flipped over three times now, I'm a fan of straight objects that are not climbable. Make sure that you DO NOT have a heat source directly above any spot that your tort might wind up upside down. The heat will make his death a lot faster. I found that out many years ago...the hard way.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would ditch the log for a Tupperware container so it has straight sides. I would also switch out that coco coir for some mulch. I think it's orchard bark that works best for baby Sulcatas..... Read up on toms threads and check it out.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would ditch the log for a Tupperware container so it has straight sides. I would also switch out that coco coir for some mulch. I think it's orchard bark that works best for baby Sulcatas..... Read up on toms threads and check it out.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
Actually the coconut coir works great for holding humidity and not molding. The bark is fine too. My personal preference is the coir.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Actually the coconut coir works great for holding humidity and not molding. The bark is fine too. My personal preference is the coir.

Yeah I went back and re read toms threads. He says coir works but his preference was the orchard bark. I thought I remembered him saying no coir but I was mistaken.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

ahawashin

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

I already tried three different substrates before I switched to coco coir and it holds the most humidity , what I have been told that baby sulcata's need to be in high humidity for at least there first year of there life

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I already tried three different substrates before I switched to coco coir and it holds the most humidity , what I have been told that baby sulcata's need to be in high humidity for at least there first year of there life
Yep, they are a desert tortoise but are hatched in the wild during the monsoon season and need that high humidity.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)