Flipping question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Feel free to move if not in the correct area!

Since my last post, life has changed for myself and sheldon dramatically. I've moved in to an amazing condo, in southern New England, which came with a very sunny porch. While the weather is still warm, I figured I'd try to do that admirable thing, and move sheldon outside in the sun. Since then, I've noticed he is so much more active. I have him in a basic wooden enclosure, high humidity, pool for his soak, food, a custom hide box and humid hide. Anywho, someone got a little adventurous, found a way on top of the hide box which I call his deck, and managed to flip off of it despite the lip and very slight incline he has leading to it. It looks nearly impossible such a feat could occur but it did. I checked at 9 am, all was well. Left for 3 hours to clean my old apartment and came back to a flipped tortoise! Once I found him, I flipped him over and he scurried into his hide just watching me clean the area where he made huge divets. I noticed he released large amounts of urine and poo. That is my main concern. Should I just keep an eye on my buddy or should I be taking any more measures?? It has been hours since and he is out and about with no access to his deck until I make it a safer area. But I would love some more knowledge here! Appreciate it friends!!
-jay

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TortForum mobile app

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Got it, I did soak him after giving him a couple mins in his hide. I figured that was what had but wanted to make sure. It is now dark out and he is now still wandering around, so I assume all is well, but like I said I got worried. Thanks!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats to you and Sheldon on the new place! If you've given him a nice soak and he has his hide to retreat to, he should be OK. I've noticed any kind of change to their enclosure or environment makes my desert torts more active -- and prone to flipping. Usually after a few days it dies down. Until he gets used to the porch, I wouldn't put him out unless you're home. Also, be sure you're watching the temps out there. Direct sun gets hotter than you'd think.

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Thanks! Just wanted to update, he has been doing well as normal since he went topside lol. Although my next question is when should I plan to bring him inside? I have been watching the temps and it is starting to get a little low. What would be a good night temp to bring him in at, 60? 65? Thanks all!

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
I appreciate the response, sorry for a delay. Life has been pretty busy lately. It has gone down to 53 outside here, but has been lingering there. I'm not sure exactly when but I think I may need to pull him back inside sooner than later. I just hate to put him under the light all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.