Flirting with a marginated hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am flirting with a marginated hatchling that has shown up on our local Craigslist. I have already talked to the owner, they have the parents and 2 hatchlings. They are both gorgeous, and sound like they have been raised very healthily.

Here is a link to the listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pet/3923895329.html
Could anyone chime in to confirm that these are indeed marginateds (the parents are pictured in 2 of the pics)? I think the little ones look great - anyone else have any thoughts?

Any input is appreciated.

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
The parents sure look like marginated torts. A lot of the hatchlings look similar to other species, so here is a pic of my hatchling marginated for comparison, maybe it helps?

biochemnerd808 said:
I am flirting with a marginated hatchling that has shown up on our local Craigslist. I have already talked to the owner, they have the parents and 2 hatchlings. They are both gorgeous, and sound like they have been raised very healthily.

Here is a link to the listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pet/3923895329.html
Could anyone chime in to confirm that these are indeed marginateds (the parents are pictured in 2 of the pics)? I think the little ones look great - anyone else have any thoughts?

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 114

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thank you, @GBtortoises, and mrlax. I went to 'visit' the babies, and after seeing the parents' nice set-up and how beautiful the Mother tortoise is (also raised from a CB hatchling, btw - Mom is 8 years old), I chose the bigger of the two hatchlings. The babies hatched in November, and their shells look really great - very slight pyramiding from the first few weeks of like, but smooth growth since then.

I made a blog post with some pictures: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-tortoise-family-addition.html

I haven't decided on a name yet.

I've read a bunch about hatchling care, and I think my set-up is pretty good, with the usual 95 degree basking spot, a flat rock to bask on, a little water dish, a hide in the hot side, a warm humid hide with a CHE above it (do I leave that on day and night? I don't use any heat at night for my Russians and Greeks, but should I for the baby?), and then another hide on the cool side, which is about 70 degrees.

The little one went right to the grape leaf and dandelion leaves I offered, and ate heartily. Then she walked all about the enclosure, and finally zonked out under the basking lamp. She spent a good bit of the afternoon outside.

Except for needing more space once they are grown, I am assuming very similar care for our little marginated to what I provide for my Russians and Greek. I will bathe the baby daily, and have been misting her whenever I go to check on her. Any other hints?

GBtortoises said:
All the tortoises adult and babies, are definitely Marginateds. They look fine, very "textbook" appearance for the species.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Your blog is so cute. I love your baby.
Here is the ninja pic of henry that I told you about. :D

Attachments

• 2569_70920329704_2173351_n.jpg
    2569_70920329704_2173351_n.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 81

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Heheh! Ninja indeed! What a little monkey. :)

Ours is half monkey too, it seems. And clever, too! I'll have to be extra careful about tortoise-proofing. It does seem that marginateds dig less than Russians - at least judging by the outdoor enclosures of the guy who has the parent animals of our baby. I named her Buttercup, btw - I am fully aware that we won't know her sex for several years, but she was incubated at 89 degrees, so I am going to assume 'female' unless proven otherwise. ;)

Our little one is 2.5" long and weighs 60g. How about yours, @Kerryann?

Kerryann said:

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
She's beautiful and you have a nice blog too. It will be fun seeing her grow up.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TortForum mobile app

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: Flirting with a marginated hatchling

biochemnerd808 said:
Heheh! Ninja indeed! What a little monkey. :)

Ours is half monkey too, it seems. And clever, too! I'll have to be extra careful about tortoise-proofing. It does seem that marginateds dig less than Russians - at least judging by the outdoor enclosures of the guy who has the parent animals of our baby. I named her Buttercup, btw - I am fully aware that we won't know her sex for several years, but she was incubated at 89 degrees, so I am going to assume 'female' unless proven otherwise. ;)

Our little one is 2.5" long and weighs 60g. How about yours, @Kerryann?

Kerryann said:

He is about 10 inches long and my husband is sleeping so I know grams. Mine is so sweet, he climbs up his enclosure to greet me in the mornings when I am feeding them.
Mine is for sure a boy too.
My marginated almost never digs. Even outside he hides under stuff.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Interesting that your marginated doesn't dig much. Our little gal (well, maybe a gal - until proven otherwise) will dig in completely when it gets warm in the afternoon. Then she comes back out in the evening and walks all about her enclosure. She also is quite the little climber - she climbs on top of the half log I put in there, which is textured, but about 3x as tall as she is long.... I was so surprised the first time I saw her on top of it!

Kerryann said:
He is about 10 inches long and my husband is sleeping so I know grams. Mine is so sweet, he climbs up his enclosure to greet me in the mornings when I am feeding them.
Mine is for sure a boy too.
My marginated almost never digs. Even outside he hides under stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.