Never any posts on Marginated tortoises

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Am I correct in thinking they don't get much pyramiding after the age of 2?
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is still growing, it can pyramid. Age doesn't matter.

Do you ever upload pictures of your set ups? Would love to see how you keep them. Maybe you should make a post for newbies like me and add pictures
Ask and you shall receive:

Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. It has pics of my outdoor set ups.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
About the original question, I agree. I wish there were more posts in the Marginated section.

I don't know why it seems like they're less popular, but I always figured part of it was their size. I imagine the first thing people learn about them is that they're THE BIGGEST European tortoise.
There are certainly other tortoise species that are bigger and more popular though. So it could be their appearance combined with that.

You can find them in the US if you know where to look, but I don't think you'll find any in pet shops.
I've heard before that they're almost entirely captive-bred in the US, so they might be less common than other species that are both wild-caught and captive-bred here.

In my experience, Marginateds are not shy and are very personable. I might just have an outgoing individual though. However, I did see some at a zoo before and they all came running up to us.

I have heard that they are a little harder to grow smooth than Hermann's or Russians, but they're still much easier to grow smooth than some of the non-Testudo species.

Reactions: Tom

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I don't make it around here often. I have been keeping marginateds primarily for 10 years. They work out great in the Arkansas climate. Even started a website at https://www.marginatedtortoise.org/

As for the group discussion, I never have more than one male in a group and I often end up separating my males from my females for periods of time so they can get a rest.

Right now I have a 5 females and 1 male group with a younger male growing up with them. Also have a crazy number of babies right now.

Mine live outside most of the year and come inside to a closed chamber for about 3 months.

Attachments

• PXL_20230425_174152537 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230425_174152537 (1).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 3

Posiewosie1

Dorset
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is still growing, it can pyramid. Age doesn't matter.

Ask and you shall receive:

Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. It has pics of my outdoor set ups.
They look fab! Will use that as an idea for when mine go out next year. Thanks for the info.

Posiewosie1

Dorset
View attachment 359472
Phil is my l
View attachment 359472
Phil is my little buddy.
He looks so smooth, lovely! Yes maybe that's why due to people also not having the space aswell. I know in the UK is not a lot of them either by private breeders not compared to the other species and the guy I got mine of was struggling to get rid of his batch at the time. Shame I think they are really active and friendly. Does Phil enjoy climbing up and over everything? Does he live outside?

Posiewosie1

Dorset
I don't make it around here often. I have been keeping marginateds primarily for 10 years. They work out great in the Arkansas climate. Even started a website at https://www.marginatedtortoise.org/

As for the group discussion, I never have more than one male in a group and I often end up separating my males from my females for periods of time so they can get a rest.

Right now I have a 5 females and 1 male group with a younger male growing up with them. Also have a crazy number of babies right now.

Mine live outside most of the year and come inside to a closed chamber for about 3 months.
Wow they look perfect. How old are the ones in the picture you attached? Do they live outside already or still indoors? Pics a couple of weeks old but how bad is my pyramiding? Do you think mines growing how it should be? Someone said it's old growth that is pyramided then been told opposite. Ive started covering their enclosures now with a sheet thingy (can't think of the name) to keep humidity higher.

Attachments

• 20230715_162816.jpg
    20230715_162816.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
Yes, Phil loves climbing up and over everything. Also bulldozing things and trying to fit in spaces too small for him 😆.

He primarily lives indoors right now in a 6ft x 3ft pvc enclosure I built for him. He gets outdoor time occasionally, about 2-3 hours a week. Right now I'm in the middle of building an outdoor enclosure for him and I'm planning on eventually keeping him outside and bringing him in at night and during the winter months.

Reactions: Tom