Marginated Tortoises

Gmhutchins

Location (City and/or State)
London
Evening All

I have 2 marginated tortoises that are around 2 years old. We bought them while living in Budapest and have kept them mostly indoors.

My question is regards to outdoor living as we have just moved back to the Uk (tortoises to follow soon) and don’t have much room indoors (bloody London!). We were told they were Greek tortoises but it turns out we were miss-sold, that they are marginated and therefore grow a fair bit bigger! Anyway, I’m considering building them somewhere to live in the garden as they’d have a lot more space and I think could be a lot happier. I could obviously build it to their needs, but I was wondering what peoples experiences of keeping marinated tortoises outside in the UK are? I’ve been reading that they can often live in quite elevated, harsh, cold environments in the wild, but I don’t want to keep them in a way that will not be suitable, so wondered if any of you good folk had any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I don't know anything about marginated tortoises. Maybe reading our care sheet would provide answers for you. Also, there's a thread written by one of our UK members pinned towards the top of our Greek section.

Gmhutchins

London
Thanks. I’ve read all the bits and bobs I think, but marginated tortoises seem to have different requirements to Greek tortoises. Thought if anyone would know it would be on here, but maybe not. Oh well. 👍🏼

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
You can set up a Marginated tortoise outdoor enclosure as you would a Hermanns. Most tortoises will typically need room to roam, and a selection of hides which will offer a place away from the sun. A selection of plants will also offer cover and create an environment which houses humidity quite well (As well as something to munch on, make sure they are tortoise safe). Make sure to predator proof the enclosure.

Marginateds do rather well in the UK climate, and are considered one of the more popular options for tortoise species in the UK. So long as you monitor the temperatures outdoors and help them retreat to a heated hide, or indoor enclosure when it gets too cold, you should be fine housing them outdoors in a similar fashion to how you would house a Hermanns. Try to give as much room as possible.

Also, I would suggest housing these tortoises separate. Tortoises don’t do well in pairs.

Gmhutchins

London
You can set up a Marginated tortoise outdoor enclosure as you would a Hermanns. Most tortoises will typically need room to roam, and a selection of hides which will offer a place away from the sun. A selection of plants will also offer cover and create an environment which houses humidity quite well (As well as something to munch on, make sure they are tortoise safe). Make sure to predator proof the enclosure.

Marginateds do rather well in the UK climate, and are considered one of the more popular options for tortoise species in the UK. So long as you monitor the temperatures outdoors and help them retreat to a heated hide, or indoor enclosure when it gets too cold, you should be fine housing them outdoors in a similar fashion to how you would house a Hermanns. Try to give as much room as possible.

Also, I would suggest housing these tortoises separate. Tortoises don’t do well in pairs.
Amazing! Many thanks!